OSX and Classic.

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm hoping to get a bit of advice. My old G4 400 has just given up on me, so I bought a second hand IMac g4.

When I try to load my old applications the system says 'Opening Classic' but then there is an error which says 'cannot find Mac OS 9 System folder' :radioacti

There is only one disc with the software Tiger OSXv 10.4 and there doesnt seem to be anything which suggests classic is hiding in there.

Do I need to buy an old copy of 9 to use? My g4 was running 8.6 so thats not an option.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
I have a G4 400 "Sawtooth" also. I was running OS9 for a long time, then I added OS10. OS10 comes with Classic option so that you can run your OS9 and OS10 together on the same computer. The Classic will run only if you have OS9 installed. Since Classic is just to bridge OS9 and OS10 systems, it will not work with systems older than OS9. My HD shows two separate System Folders. Classic mode activates OS9 and OS9 system runs through Classic. If you had OS9 you would be able to run it separate from OS10 also. Since you don't have OS9 system, Classic starts (Opening Classic) to search for OS9, because you are trying to run an old software. But "Cannot find Mac OS9 System Folder" because there isn't any. The bottom line is that you need OS9 System installed. Sorry, If I spelled it out too long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Hi All,
I'm hoping to get a bit of advice. My old G4 400 has just given up on me, so I bought a second hand IMac g4.

When I try to load my old applications the system says 'Opening Classic' but then there is an error which says 'cannot find Mac OS 9 System folder' :radioacti

There is only one disc with the software Tiger OSXv 10.4 and there doesnt seem to be anything which suggests classic is hiding in there.

Do I need to buy an old copy of 9 to use? My g4 was running 8.6 so thats not an option.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Where did your Tiger discs come from?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The Tiger was an upgrade that was bundlend in with the Imac.
I have just found the orginal software restore disk which he says is Jaguar (it justr says OSX and 9.2.2 applications on it). I tried just installing this as Apple suggest but it keeps prompting for me to inset a disk- when th edisc is already in. It then lhas the feel of OS9 but still doesnt let me open my softwware.

I'm thinking that the way to go would be a clean install of the software reinstall disc, then the Tiger upgrade but leaving the classic option there. Does this sound right? If anyone could point me in the direction of how to do this, that would be great. My Mac knowledge is very limited, so nice and simple please!:headphone

OP
M
Reaction score
Just want to add that after some research it seems it seems that OSX still requires that you have a previous copy of OS9.

I'm not sure if this is corrct. I have two sets of discs that apparantly came witht he original imac.
1) Install OSX 10.2
2) Software Restore. Mac OSX and OS9 Applications. (this is the one which prompts the disc that's already in).

M

MacHeadCase

The Software Restore CD was bundled with older Macs when they shipped with CDs instead of the DVD nowadays. You find on that disk the extras that came with your Mac like OS 9, AppleWorks, etc. I had one with my older iMac G4 that shipped with Jaguar (Mac OS X 10.2).

As for your upgrade disk of Tiger, it shouldn't re-write over your OS 9 installation only on the Mac OS X install but then again, I have always used full install disks, never upgrade disks. But logically, it shouldn't do anything to Mac OS 9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you already have OS9 on your HD, then you install OS10 by selecting "Archive and Install" to preserve OS9 and also to add OS10. After this installation, Classic will run with your old programs. You can also run your old programs by chosing "Startup Disk" and switching to OS9 system from OS10 System and vice versa. In that case you don't need Classic. If you are doing a clean install and OS10 is the first system you are installing, then you can add OS9 to it later. Either way it works. I have not upgraded OS10 yet, but I agree with MacHeadCase that the upgrade for OS10 should not affect OS9.
You should end up with two separate System Folders.
:flower:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would think that "Software Restore" would be to restore what you had before the new system installation. It probably does not have a working OS9 system installation on it. When you buy an OS10 System, I don't think that Apple is going to give a free OS9 System disk. I may be wrong, but it just another way of looking at it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I got it working by reinstalling Jaguar then adding classic from th erestore cd. I then upgraded to Tiger.

I got lots of errors before I actually managed the upgrade and then once it worked it was really unstable with Photoshop crashing every few minutes.

My apps are really old, so perhaps that has something to do with it. I'm happy with Jag for now and I can run Tiger once I get around to updating.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.