MBP Getting a wee bit too toasty...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz(CD)/512/80/128MB VRAM/15"
Whats the recognised temperature threshold for MBP's (CD, not C2D)?? if any.

I was playing WoW at work today when i noticed that my balls started getting really hot...like, REALLY hot. So i quickly looked around to see if there were any hot customers around...nope, not getting a hardon, OH WAIT! its my macbook thats cooking my balls inside my sac, like some kind of Testicular Macintosh haggis.

Ok, so jokes aside, my MBP was running at 70C (158F). Generally on desktop processors the chip will start to clock down at 70C to avoid damaging itself. What concerns me even more is what impact will this have on other heat sensitive components? I've seen hard drives in poorly ventilated PC cases die in under 6 months because of heat.

Whats the word on these fan speed apps that you can get? has anyone tested the extra power consumption that these apps may cause? has anyone had issues with fans failing because they're running over spec?

Sorry if i sound ignorant but i just got my MBP 2 days ago...

EDIT:: i forgot to add that i useually idle around 50-55C (122-131)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz 2Gb
I know the C2D is at 100c, my fans were turning on at 80c, didnt like it so I installed fancontrol and turned it down to 70c, also I use a temerature monitoring program to record the temps as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
normal op temp for these new c2d is from 50-85ish.

its normal , and theirs nothing u can do about, all laptops with these chips run that high.

now, to avoid cooking your balls, dont play wow with the laptop on them :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
or you can download smsFanControl. just google it. its a fan control program that also gives you a simple temp read out. works on my macbook pro c2d so it should work on yours aswell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.