Fan control sucks, I think I have a fan problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
My MBP fan likes to ramp up to really high RPM's, so I took someone's advice and got fan control. I hear it going up, so I check fan control and it said 3500 and 60 degrees. Then the fan just keeps going faster and fastern and louder, but fan control says it's actually going slower! It just owuldn't slow down, so I put the system to sleep and wake it up. The fan is back to "normal" and the temp is suddenly 10 degrees lower.

Anyone else had this problem. I want to take it to the Apple Store, but I dont' want to go across town to have them tell me to run updates and not believe me or do anything when it doesn't happen on cue.

"run updates" isn't that why I ditched my PC to begin with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
boy that sucks. Im sorry to hear about your strange problem. Do you have a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo MBP? Were both fans running at 3500. Is one acting stranger than the other? Was the system under heavy load when it started to ramp up?
Im pretty sure you wont have any trouble with the apple store people considering so many of these machines have fan problems.
good luck
-d

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I wasn't doing anything other than web-surfing. I C2D. It always shows both fans running the same rate.

It happened again today and I let it go. I figured if it blew, I'd just get a new one and maybe that would solve the problem. It eventually slowed, even though Fan Control showed that it never sped up to begin with. I'm most worried about rapid wear and tear and see the system tanking about a week after Applecare is done!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.