Pround new owner of a Mac Mini 1.83 120 gig

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 1.83/1.5gRam/120gHD
Well I have been contemplating the swith for more than a year now. I had been running 2 PCs with a KVM on my network (+ 1 media PC and a laptop). Xmas was a time to take the plunge and my Mac Mini finally arrived today from eBay.

First impressions...

1. The previous owner must have reset (or clean install) so when I powered up it went through all the first timer options.

2. Turned off the MAC address filter on my wireless router long enough to connect with Airport to the Internet, got the Mini's MAC address and added it to the filter on the Linksys WRT-G and bingo - the easiet wireless connection to my network I have ever done.

3. Ironically I am posting this from my PC while OSX goes out and gets all the necessary updates - but by first impressions, this unit rocks. Just GOOGL'ing a few basic "how to questions" seems about 1.5 to 2x faster than IE explorer 7.

As an aside - I bought an old iMac for work so I could read the occasional Quark disk that a design firm will send me. I had to go out an find a freeware "stuff/zip" program from the Net this week that was OS 9 compatible. What a nightmare. I already made some stupid "windows user" assumptions, searched for the answers and found the MAC way of doing things intuitive, but not if you've been trained in PC.

4. Any way - I have been a lurker on this board for a while prior to my switch to get some basic knowledge beforehand. This community is awsome. Keep up th egood work and look forward to me posting the typical newbie questions that will sound elementary to you guys.

Peace - Love and Understanding.....Dennis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Congrats on your new mini, Dennis!! You'll love it :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Congrats on the Mini and welcome to the forums and the world of OSX and Macs!!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
congrats and welcome to the forums! let us know when you get stuck on something you can't answer.

and check these out:

a few apps to check out:
onyx - excellent maintenance tool, great for cache maintenance and tweaking preferences

delocalizer - will free up a couple gigs of space by removing extra language support if you don't need it (i recovered about 2.8Gb by removing all support except us and uk english and spanish).

unison - great newsreader/binary downloader if you need that sort of thing.

adium - great chat program (similar to functionality of trillian for windows).

also, these threads are fun for anecdotal reference:
A quick summary of my problems. Read this if you're a new switcher!

Switchers, what do you love most about your new Mac?

switchers - top 5 things you don't miss!

Feelings of Apple Disillusionment

A switcher's guide to OS X Software

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.