Ethernet sees router but can not connect to Internet

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I hope someone can help me.

Ive recently gone down to Brazil and I brought my powerbook g4 with me. It has OSX 10.4.8 and I have been able to connect to wireless airport networks in airports and cafes, but now I need to connect to a Motorola SB4200 Ethernet Modem. I have done a long hard run at solving this problem...
1-disconnected the PC that was also connected through USB
2-unplugged and restarted modem (held down the small button to start fresh)
3-connected and my DHCP was able to read all the necessary info to connect
->IP Address = 10.103.0.121
->Subnet Mask = 255.255.248.0
->Router = 10.103.0.1
So, under Show I tried to see the network status. It told me that...
"Built-In Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 10.103.0.121 (yada yada yada) you are connected to the Internet via built-in ethernet"

Hooray!!!

No! There are no Connection bars full in my status bar and I get nothing through Safari, and when I check Network Diagnostics, it says:
"Unable to connect to the Internet. Network diagnostics cannot fix the current networking problems. Check with you Internet service provider or network administrator for current network settings."

When they thought it was a DNS problem, I tried typing into safari http://17.254.0.91 I didn´t get the apple page they thought I would get.

Also for anyone´s notes... when I check the Netwrok Diagnostics, I get a green light for Built-In Ethernet, Network Settings, and ISP, but Internet and Server remain red... with FAILED in subtext.

Can anyone help me? Thank you very much!
Jooser

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would look into the netmask. Try 255.255.255.0 and see what happens.

OP
J
Reaction score
nada

thanks for the reply... but I tried it and got a big fat 0... as usual

this is definitely a problem with my Mac as I had this problem once before and both times now, I have received customer support from the modem manufacturers Motorola and Lynksys but in the end they have told me to go to Mac for help. Mac support could not help me without me having to pay and I just hate that. I hope someone can figure this one out!

OP
J
Reaction score
Back again... nobody wants to help???

Hi Everyone, I hope someone can help me.

Ive recently gone down to Brazil and I brought my powerbook g4 with me. It has OSX 10.4.8 and I have been able to connect to wireless airport networks in airports and cafes, but now I need to connect to a Motorola SB4200 Ethernet Modem. I have done a long hard run at solving this problem...
1-disconnected the PC that was also connected through USB
2-unplugged and restarted modem (held down the small button to start fresh)
3-connected and my DHCP was able to read all the necessary info to connect
->IP Address = 10.103.0.121
->Subnet Mask = 255.255.248.0
->Router = 10.103.0.1
So, under Show I tried to see the network status. It told me that...
"Built-In Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 10.103.0.121 (yada yada yada) you are connected to the Internet via built-in ethernet"

Hooray!!!

No! There are no Connection bars full in my status bar and I get nothing through Safari, and when I check Network Diagnostics, it says:
"Unable to connect to the Internet. Network diagnostics cannot fix the current networking problems. Check with you Internet service provider or network administrator for current network settings."

When they thought it was a DNS problem, I tried typing into safari http://17.254.0.91 I didn´t get the apple page they thought I would get.

Also for anyone´s notes... when I check the Netwrok Diagnostics, I get a green light for Built-In Ethernet, Network Settings, and ISP, but Internet and Server remain red... with FAILED in subtext.

Can anyone help me? Thank you very much!
Jooser

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This one line puzzles me.

"No! There are no Connection bars full in my status bar and I get nothing through Safari, and when I check Network Diagnostics, it says:

You are plugged into the modem correct? What Connection Bars are you talking about? In OSX the Connection Bars are for WiFi Airport. Trying to help figure this out. Can you clarify a bit?

Also, is this DSL? Does it connect automatically if it is DSL or need a PPPoE client?

Also is there a PC there and does it connect with this Modem and access the net?

OP
J
Reaction score
Basically the situation is that I am hooking up to the DSL Motorola SB4200. There is a ethernet out and a USB out. However they say that there is no driver for the USB so I have to use the ethernet.
The modem is currently connected to a PC and works just fine. A PC modem is also able to connect with the USB just fine as well. I have yet to try hooking them up with the ethernet cord.

So when I try to hook up my Mac Powerbook, it tells me that I am connected to the internet. I get an IP adress, subnet mask, and router number. And when these numbers pop up automatically, I am able to get a green light in the network status panel that says I am connected to the internet.
But after I try opening Safari, the other lights change to connection failed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA
Are you bridging an internet connection through the PC to the modem? Double check that the ip info you are seeing is not that of the PC that is connected to the router - if you are bridging the connection (without realizing), you will need to turn-off uPnP on the router first...It's a PC thing that could be upsetting your day...

Reaction score
Same Problem - Ethernet connnection seems fine but can't connect

I'm having the exact same problem here. And this is is an office where there are several other Macs and one or two pc's connected to the switch. I came in this morning and suddenly one of the old G4's won't connect to the network or the internet, but the network status still says "the cable is plugged in and i have an active connection with IP number....."

So I tried changing IP's and fiddling around with connection settings - nothing. Restarted a few times, ran Onyx system cleanup - still nothing.
Then restarted in safe mode by holding in the Shift key with startup, and then just restart normally - suddenly the connection is back, but disappears 15 mins later.

It's not the end of the world, it's simply a G4 we use to connect the scanner to but any suggestions would be useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA
Again, this sounds like a PC 'internet sharing' issue that messes with a Mac's chi - turn of uPnP on your switch. *Usually* unless you have Bonjour installed/active on the PCs as well, they are talking network double-dutch with the Macs - especially if the Mac is acting as a print server on a windows network.

Also worth checking out whether the G4 is part of the Win network (SMB) (Workgroup) - these settings can be applied in 'Network Prefs'>'WINS'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.