• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

imac and xbox 360 compatibility??

Reaction score
being finally won over by my mac-crazy friend, and because my pc is making me pull my hair out, i have finally decided to buy a 24" imac. the only thing that is stopping me from making the switch is my xbox 360. i love playing online via xbox live and want to make sure that there is a way to continue to do this with the imac. currently i do this through my pc connecting to a linksys wireless router which then connects to the 360 wirelessly(i have the little wireless antenna that fits to the back of the 360). to make this connection work i had to install a windows media connect file on my pc. obviously this little bit of software isn't available to macs. i have read some on the "connect 360" software, but this seems to be more to do with connecting the mac's music and photo libraries to the xbox. i'm not really interested in that function, just the ability to connect to xbox live and play online. does anyone know if "connect 360" also allows me to do this? if not, is there another program that does? or is this even an issue? maybe the xbox automatically shares the broadband connection? if anyone has any answers, it would be very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You shouldn't need to run any software on your PC to connect wirelessly for XBox Live. Windows Media Connect is for playing video files.

OP
D
Reaction score
cool

great. i'm off to the apple store tomorrow to get the imac. thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Basically, the only thign that will change in your setup is you're (swapping) machines; replacing your PC with the iMac.

Connect360 (wonder piece of software), let's you stream Audio, Video (unfortionatly only *.wmv format), and pictures to your Xbox 360 without using the "Media Center" portion (which is a royal pain).

Your Linksys wireless router acts as an "access point," delivering network connectivety (as well as broadband internet), to up to 4 machines-hardwired, and wirelessly as well.

OP
D
Reaction score
one more question: will the xbox automatically connect, or will i have to type in info on dns servers and ip adresses etc?

Reaction score
You just type in the network name and encription (if you have one..) and bang.. like magic it will connect

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks to all replies. i called the local apple store the other day and asked these same questions. the bloke on the phone said "hold on, i'll ask genius." after 2 minutes he comes back on and says "genius doesn't know." not much of a genius then after all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
I have connect360 on my macbook, but have never been able to get it to work with my 360.

When I click Start on connect360, it says that it is starting up, then goes right back to saying "click start to begin sharing your media files with your Xbox 360" At the top of the screen, it says Xbox 360 media sharing disabled.

The xbox is hardwired to the linksys wireless router, and the Macbook uses a wireless connection. Do i need to set up anything on the xbox to get this to work?

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I have connect360 on my macbook, but have never been able to get it to work with my 360.

When I click Start on connect360, it says that it is starting up, then goes right back to saying "click start to begin sharing your media files with your Xbox 360" At the top of the screen, it says Xbox 360 media sharing disabled.

The xbox is hardwired to the linksys wireless router, and the Macbook uses a wireless connection. Do i need to set up anything on the xbox to get this to work?

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

That's very strange.. When you "start" Connect360, it's just like you're starting any other service like File Sharing, ICS, etc.

Try removing Connect360 completely, and reinstalling it. Also, pay for it! It's cheap and works well!

The only thing you should have to do on your Xbox, is go to the Media blade, and just do the setup to "add a PC." You should see your Mac there once Connect360 is started, just like it were a Windows PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.