CrossOver or Bootcamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Never read about crossover before, does it do what it says on the tin and lets u install windows based programs onto OSX? whats the difference between this and parralles?

if i want to run a 3D Studio Max am i better to use crossover for bootcamp?

Reaction score
Never read about crossover before, does it do what it says on the tin and lets u install windows based programs onto OSX? whats the difference between this and parralles?

if i want to run a 3D Studio Max am i better to use crossover for bootcamp?

Cross Over is a version of Wine which has been around in the Linux world for quite a while. It works somewhat in OS X and allows you to run "SOME" windows software without having the windows operating system on your system. It is rather limited in what you can run.

If your looking to run MOST windows software you will need either Parallels or Boot Camp or as some are doing both... With Parallels you will need to install Windows into your computer and then you can run most windows programs quite well while also running OS X programs at the same time. The latest version of Parallels which is 3120 works very well and in its coheasion mode allows windows and osx going at the same time very well.

With Boot Camp you will get better ability to run windows games because you are dual booting either windows or os x so when you boot windows you are actually running windows, but Paralles gives you very good ability to run both at the same time.

Pick your poison...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.