iPhone software

Reaction score
Since it's running some sort of OS X I wonder if other apps can be installed. Getting my VPN client on it would be tremendous, and the terminal.

Edit: To answer my own question, probably not. They keynote says iPhone ships with two widgets which I take to mean the widgets had to be rewritten specifically for the iPhone so I don't see Cisco running out and writing a VPN client. Especially not Cisco. :) But hey, I can dream, right?

Reaction score
Since it's running some sort of OS X I wonder if other apps can be installed. Getting my VPN client on it would be tremendous, and the terminal.

Edit: To answer my own question, probably not. They keynote says iPhone ships with two widgets which I take to mean the widgets had to be rewritten specifically for the iPhone so I don't see Cisco running out and writing a VPN client. Especially not Cisco. :) But hey, I can dream, right?

What bothers me more is the rumor I just read that the battery is not removable - the unit has to be taken in and changed by a "professional." If true that spells "expensive" to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G

I thought that they had said it would run dashboard widgets. There are one or two VPN widgets floating around aren't there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
What bothers me more is the rumor I just read that the battery is not removable - the unit has to be taken in and changed by a "professional." If true that spells "expensive" to me.

This is expected. No iPod has an user removable battery and several PDAs follow the same rule. Still, even if that's the case there are plenty of batteries for such devices.

I thought that they had said it would run dashboard widgets. There are one or two VPN widgets floating around aren't there?

Jobs said "desktop class" aplication, i'm sure within time all kind of apps will be available, but for a few months Widgets will be the best option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
I'm hoping Adium will be available :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
Most reports are saying no third party apps will be available:

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/01/09/iphone-will-not-allow-user-installable-applications/

No user replaceable battery
No third party apps
Slow internet connectivity (Edge instead of HSPDA)
No memory card slot.

This device is not as earth shattering as many people say it is. People say it is still several months from shipping, but keep in mind the hardware cannot be changed once it is submitted to the FCC for approval. The Blackjack can do all of the above for $199, so many people are going to be asking if the iPhone is really worth the premium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/01/09/iphone-will-not-allow-user-installable-applications/

No third party apps
No memory card slot.

This device is not as earth shattering as many people say it is. People say it is still several months from shipping, but keep in mind the hardware cannot be changed once it is submitted to the FCC for approval. The Blackjack can do all of the above for $199, so many people are going to be asking if the iPhone is really worth the premium.

It has Edge as well as WIFI, Did you watch the keynote? I was pretty impressed and I would disagree that the blackjack can do "all of the above"

Reaction score
Let us compare the two:

Samsung Blackjack (SGH-I607) Specs

Technical Specifications
Network: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 / UMTS 850 / 1900
Form Factor: PDA / Windows Mobile 5.0
Dimensions: 113 x 59 x 12 mm
Weight: 99 g
Antenna: Internal
Navigation: QWERTY Keypad / 5-Way Keypad
Battery Type: 1200 mAh Li-Ion
Talk Time: 5.50
Standby Time: 264
Memory: 64.0 MB
Expandable Memory: microSD / TransFlash

Imaging
Main Screen: 65000 colors (TFT)
320 x 240 px
External Screen:
Camera: 1.3 MP / 1280 x 960 px / 2X Zoom / Multi-Shot / Self-Timer / Video Recorder

Audio
MP3 Player: Windows Media Player
FM Radio:no
Speakerphone:yes
Push-To-Talk:no

Multimedia
Wallpapers: 320 x 240 px
Screen Savers: 320 x 240 px
Ring Tones:yes
Themes:yes
Games: J2ME
Streaming Multimedia: Windows Media Player

Messaging
SMS:yes
EMS:yes
MMS:yes
Email: POP3 / IMAP4 / SMTP / Microsoft Direct Push
Chat: AOL / MSN / Yahoo!
Predictive Text: T9

Applications
Phonebook Capacity:?
Calendar: Pocket Outlook
To-Do List:yes
WAP: Pocket Internet Explorer
Voice Commands:yes
Calculator:yes

Connectivity
Bluetooth: 2.0
Infrared Port:no
High-Speed Data: GPRS (Class 10) / EDGE / UMTS
Wi-Fi:no
GPS:no
PC Sync: Microsoft ActiveSync

Apple iPhone Specs

Technical Specifications
Network: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
Form Factor: Block / Mac OS X
Dimensions: 115 x 61 x 112 mm
Weight: 135 g
Antenna: Internal
Navigation: Multi-Touch / QWERTY Keypad
Battery Type: Li-Ion
Talk Time: 5.00
Standby Time: ?
Memory: 4GB or 8GB
Expandable Memory: ?

Imaging
Main Screen: 0 colors (TFT)
320 x 480 px
External Screen:no
Camera: 2.0 MP / Video Recorder

Audio
MP3 Player: iTunes / Cover Flow
FM Radio:no
Speakerphone:yes
Push-To-Talk:?

Multimedia
Wallpapers: 320 x 480 px
Screen Savers: 320 x 480 px
Ring Tones: MP3
Themes:yes
Games:yes
Streaming Multimedia: iTunes

Messaging
SMS:yes
EMS:yes
MMS:yes
Email: POP3 / IMAP4 / SMTP
Chat:yes
Predictive Text:?

Applications
Phonebook Capacity: ?
Calendar:yes
To-Do List:yes
WAP: Safari Browser / Google and Yahoo! Search
Voice Commands:yes
Calculator:yes

Connectivity
Bluetooth: 2.0
Infrared Port:?
High-Speed Data: GPRS (Class 10) / EDGE
Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g
GPS:no
PC Sync:yes

Since we only have a limited amount of info about the iPhone, you decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G

No third party apps
No memory card slot.

Yikes. No third part apps? That's a huge mistake. Pretty much a deal breaker for me-- I can't imagine forking out that much money and being tied in to a single vender.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
It would probably sell more if it could be sync'ed to outlook.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
I will have one, I wanted a smart phone for a while but they are all ugly and big so now I can get one. or in 2008.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Yikes. No third part apps? That's a huge mistake. Pretty much a deal breaker for me-- I can't imagine forking out that much money and being tied in to a single vender.

Ditto, and if that does not change then I will stick with my Treo 650.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It would probably sell more if it could be sync'ed to outlook.
Yea because I am sure Microsoft is jumping out of their seats wanting to provide the functionality so they can sync it to their exchange servers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Yea because I am sure Microsoft is jumping out of their seats wanting to provide the functionality so they can sync it to their exchange servers

OMGYESEXACTLY.

That's not the point I was trying to make. The fact that there are so many outlook users who want outlook syncing as one of the functions of their devices will detour some would be purchasers. Not to mention the lack of 3G will also detour many others, but I'm sure you have another snide retort about that as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
That's not the point I was trying to make. The fact that there are so many outlook users who want outlook syncing as one of the functions of their devices will detour some would be purchasers. Not to mention the lack of 3G will also detour many others,

I agree, I think that Apple is missing the largest section of the business market. But I have to think that they did it on purpose, and what I mean by that is that the intended market is obviously not the type a, always-wearing-a-bluetooth-headset, crackberry using, corporate businessperson. It's more the technology-as-a-fashion-accesory high end consumer types. They aren't looking at it as competing with business centered smartphones, so the lack of outlook sync and exchange compatibility isn't as important.

Apple has seemingly all but conceded the business market and concentrates it's energies on consumer devices. And as well they should, their biggest moneymakers in the last few years have been in the consumer space. Their workstations and servers have found some niches, but in the enterprise market Apple products are few and far between.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.