iPhoto slideshow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini
Ok... in iPhoto, I made a slideshow for my folks as they went to Italy and brought back copious amounts of photos. I'm using the Ken Burns effect, and I'd like to have several songs accompany the slideshow, however, it seems I only can pick one song and let it continously loop, or I can pick one song and let the slides flip through their entirety, albeit very quickly, as my only other option is to fit the slides to the music. Isn't there any way to fit my slide show to say 8 or 10 songs? The slideshow I'm doing contains nearly 700 pictures, and I'm not cool with listening to one song over and over again for 700 pics, and I'm not cool with seeing 700 pics scroll by synced with a 4 minute song.

For further info, I am doing the slideshow in iPhoto and exporting it over to iDVD. I previously made a slide show only using iDVD, and could select a bunch of songs to accompany the lengthy picture slideshow, but I don't ever recall an option to use the Ken Burns effect in iDVD on those pictures- only in iPhoto. iDVD just gives you transition options while going from one pic to the next as far as I can tell - no Ken Burns effect pan/zoom/in/out goodies.

Can I sync like 10 songs to my slideshow *and* use the Ken Burns effect on the pictures as well? I'm relatively new to Macs, and for the most part, things are a breeze, but there are little dilemmas I come across like this that are immensely frustrating.

As it stands right now, I have 2 DVD slideshows that are really not good enough, in my opinion. A true pro DVD slideshow would have all of my pictures, synced to a selection of my songs, all while having the Ken Burns effect applied to each picture in the slide show.

Can this be done? Is it possible? Is maybe the easiest way just to attach all the songs I want together as one mp3 file and toss the one long mp3 file in with the pictures and go about it that way to get my desired slideshow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Ok... in iPhoto, I made a slideshow for my folks as they went to Italy and brought back copious amounts of photos. I'm using the Ken Burns effect, and I'd like to have several songs accompany the slideshow, however, it seems I only can pick one song and let it continously loop, or I can pick one song and let the slides flip through their entirety, albeit very quickly, as my only other option is to fit the slides to the music. Isn't there any way to fit my slide show to say 8 or 10 songs? The slideshow I'm doing contains nearly 700 pictures, and I'm not cool with listening to one song over and over again for 700 pics, and I'm not cool with seeing 700 pics scroll by synced with a 4 minute song.

Make a playlist with all the songs you want, when selecting the music just select the playlist itself

For further info, I am doing the slideshow in iPhoto and exporting it over to iDVD. I previously made a slide show only using iDVD, and could select a bunch of songs to accompany the lengthy picture slideshow, but I don't ever recall an option to use the Ken Burns effect in iDVD on those pictures- only in iPhoto. iDVD just gives you transition options while going from one pic to the next as far as I can tell - no Ken Burns effect pan/zoom/in/out goodies.

Yea iDVD has always been like that. Ken Burns was just added to iPhoto in 6.

Can I sync like 10 songs to my slideshow *and* use the Ken Burns effect on the pictures as well? I'm relatively new to Macs, and for the most part, things are a breeze, but there are little dilemmas I come across like this that are immensely frustrating.

My response to your first paragraph sorts that issue out

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini
Thanks for your reply. Generally, I don't really make playlists, so that option never even sprung into my mind.

Thanks again!

edit... I made the playlist in iTunes for what I need, but when I go to select the media in iPhoto, the playlist doesn't show up - still just individual songs in my library.

Reaction score
I haven't created a slideshow in iPhoto 6 yet, but in iPhoto 5 I found that even by selecting a playlist it would only play the first song, then stop.

What I had to do to get the songs to play correctly was combine them in iTunes, export them to a CD, then re-import it as one song. You can then select this song in iPhoto.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.