• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

imovie, mpegs, & demuxing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini
Ok, first I find out that iMovie HD doesn't play nice with mpeg1 and mpeg2, and that I have to demux the video and audio so iMovie can play with the audio(it plays the video portion even if no demuxing has been done).

I download BBdemux, and demux my mpegs, and now I have separate audio and video tracks. I can import my video tracks, but my audio tracks don't import into iMovie. I'm importing video by dragging it into the timeline. I've been trying to do the same with the audio tracks, but the audio doesn't show up, and I'm basically left in my original situation - iMovie playing mpeg video with no audio. The audio tracks play fine independently if I just play them within finder.

What gives? It's really frustrating that I'm having to jump thru these hoops to get a relatively standard protocol like mpeg to work correctly in iMovie.

Can anyone offer me some advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I used MPEG Streamclip to demux them the one time I had to deal with the MPEG problem

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Quicktime handles them just fine for me, and a simple export gets them to an imovie friendly format.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini
Quicktime plays the mpegs fine - that's not an issue. It's only when I import them into iMovie. Muxed or demuxed, iMovie does not play the audio - and when I drag the demuxed audio file into iMovie's timeline in the same manner that I drag the video file in, nothing drags into the timeline. I mean, it's a valid demuxed audio file. It plays fine by itself outside of iMovie. I'm going to try MPEG Streamclip to demux and see what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.