Question about converting DVD's to iPod Video

Reaction score
I am going to finally be purchasing my first ipod shortly and have a large collection of MP3's but as well I have a lot of video I'd like to put on it. most of this video is on DVD's. Some are homemade such as video taking from home videos but some are commercial DVD's.
Is there any software for the mac that will take this video from the dvd's and make it into a ipod video file? I used to have a PC and found software that can convert to ipod video (or other mp3 player videos) but when doing this often it was sloppy, converting it into multiple files that were hard to play. I appreciate any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15” Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB HD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G5, ipod Vid 30GB
As far as I can tell, the above software will not incoporporate scene secelction options within the dvd.

What you end up with is a 2 hour long or so continuous mp4 file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can't incorporate scene selection into ripped videos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can rip each chapter as a separate video and then add them to your iPod as part of a video playlist. This emulates the scene selection of the DVD.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm not too concerned with scene selection. In the past it seems when i've ripped a dvd like this I end up wtih several files that I have to play in a certain order to get the entire movie. I'd be happy if I had one long mp4 file for a movie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G5, ipod Vid 30GB
I'm not too concerned with scene selection. In the past it seems when i've ripped a dvd like this I end up wtih several files that I have to play in a certain order to get the entire movie. I'd be happy if I had one long mp4 file for a movie.

Then follow the above :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Follow the tutorial linked in my sig for converting movies with HandBrake.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.