/volumes problem

Reaction score
I exported a finished project in final cut pro, and when it was done i couldn't find the file. I decided to re-run the export just to see where the save location was and it turns out its a folder inside /volumes, which i have NO idea how to access. Having read some posts regarding this /volumes i have used Terminal but that seems to have problems with folder names with spaces.

I just need to access this folder to get to my files and delete some other stuff just taking up space on my drive.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Yianni

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
In Finder, type Shift+CMD+G. This presents the "go to folder" dialog. Type in /volumes and hit enter or click the Go button. You are there!

Reaction score
/Volumes is where the Finder mounts hard drives, cd's and the network drives - connections.
Don't know why Final Cut would save a file there, but: go to menu bar, click on Go/Go to Folder. In the dialog type /Volumes. The folder will show up in Finder.
BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU DELETE/MOVE FROM THERE!!
This is not a place to be messing around in unless you know exactly what you're doing.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
When working in the terminal window and the file name has spaces in them do one of the following.

"file name"
file\ name

As in cd "file name" or cd file\ name

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
When working in the terminal window and the file name has spaces in them do one of the following.

"file name"
file\ name

As in cd "file name" or cd file\ name

one more thing that may help. If for some reason you cannot see something, type the following in your terminal window in the /Volumes directory

ls -a

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You don't need the -a option on ls command. unless you want to se the dot files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.