Back to desktop

Q

quackbook

When I am playing a game like age of empires 3, i sometimes need to return to the desktop to check something. On windows, you can push the window button or press alt-tab.

I have tried command-tab, command-H, command-M. None of these seem to work.

Is there anything out there that will work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
command+tab should work, as it works for me no matter what game I am in (halo is the only game i play.. very occasionally)

if not try apple+w which will close the window.. or try F11

OP
M

MacHeadCase

F11 maybe? It depends on how you have Exposé set up on your Mac. To see this, go to your System Preferences and click on the Dashboard & Exposé button in the Personal section at the very top.

Edited to add:

Oops! It seems PowerBookG4 has beat me to it with the F11 thingy...

OP
Q

quackbook

nope, none of those work. I want to be able to return to the desktop but not shut down the game.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
One of the reasons why it may not work is that some games have those keyboard shortcuts disabled. So you can try all sorts of keyboard shortcuts, but it's possible that the only way to get back to your desktop is by shutting down the game.

I may be wrong about this game in particular, but keep in mind that the possibility is there.

OP
Q

quackbook

ahhh, I need to know! It'll be a disgrace if my brand spanking new macbook can't do this and my piece of sh*t PC can!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Try Command + Return, sometimes that will make it a window and then you can minimize.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
it sounds like age of empires has well and truly disabled any OS handling of keyboard events. At a push, you could try command-option-escape which is like ctrl-alt-del in Windows - it interrupts whatever is running and pops up the 'force quit' window that you can then close.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.