The most annoying thing of all on MacOSX...

Reaction score
...involves iPhoto!!

99% of applications I have ever used on this Mac uses Apple + Q to quit, and Apple + W to close...except iPhoto which uses Ctrl + W to quit the application. How ridiculous?!

Is there any way to change this?! It does my head in!

OP
L
Reaction score
Mine quits altogether using both Apple + W, and Apple + Q?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I think that is what he/she was refering to both Apple W and Apple causes Iphoto to quit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
...involves iPhoto!!

99% of applications I have ever used on this Mac uses Apple + Q to quit, and Apple + W to close...except iPhoto which uses Ctrl + W to quit the application. How ridiculous?!

Is there any way to change this?! It does my head in!

ctrl+w doesn't quit iPhoto for me. Methinks that was a typo. Command+q still quits iPhoto for me. I really don't see the problem with the app quitting if you use command+w - it's the primary window - there aren't any other windows to close, so you may as well be quitting the app. If you want it hidden, hide it (command+h), or minimise it to the dock (command+m). Simple.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's Command/Apple+Q to quit. Not Control+Q. If you mean Apple+W does not close iPhoto, then you would be correct but I have never used that feature so I don't really care.

OP
L
Reaction score
Both of them cause iPhoto to quit. Not just Apple + Q...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I'm still not sure why that's annoying. You can just use the shortcuts I gave above if you just want it hidden without quitting. Hiding is a good alternative to closing if you just want to give screen space a bit of a breather.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.