Apple TV-IR Remote, Universal Remotes

Reaction score
I am going to be purchasing the Apple TV but the way I use my home theater equipment is I use Harmony Remotes so I can control everything with one unit. Does the Apple Remote use standard IR meaning that the potential is there for using something like the Harmony? I understand maybe they don't have the codes for this remote yet so I may not be able to use it yet. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.00Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
I would say so. The remote is the same one that I got with my Macbook and it looks cool but it's nothing fancy. I don't see you having any compatability problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
i wish apple would have a seperate remote for each type of computer/device. I have 3 macs, and everytime i use front row.. all my computers show it.. ugh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
you know theres a way to pair a remote to a specific computer alone...i think it's in system preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
hmm.. i need to look into it.

Reaction score
Did you get your Harmony remote to work with the Apple IR protocols?.

I was wondering the same thing, the OP never really got an answer to the original question. Anyone know if the Apple IR protocol is compatible with Learning remotes?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.