Became a Switch Yesterday!

Reaction score
Became a Switcher Yesterday!

The wait for my iMac 20" ended yesterday as it arrived. Of course, I took the day off and started to get my office all set up with Mac, transfer files from PC, redo wireless network with new router, as well as set up a new printer. A couple of things as I worked on the switch:

1. Switching from one brand of wireless router (Linksys to Belkin) can be a pain when you don't work with wireless networks all the time. After support calls with ISP and Belkin, finally got my network running (ISP had to do reboot of modem on their end for new mac address).

2. After screwing around with network, didn't get time to transfer files from PC to Mac, but will be doing the network cable process to shared folders that has been covered in many topics on this forum.

3. Did a quick download of some pix from my digital camera to iPhoto. A couple of things I've noticed. The date/time info of picture didn't pass over like it did on my PC. With the PC, I would use the cameras software (Olympus) to download. I need to double check camera to see if I turned off pix properties somehow, that may be issue. Also, every indoor shot had given everyone red eyes, but didn't see it on camera view finder. Going to upload pix to PC to see if I see the same thing. In past, would see some photos with red eye, but everytime (maybe the better graphics with Mac). Didn't like the redeye cleanup in iPhoto, didn't completely clean up. I think the redeye cleanup in Shutteryfly does a better job. May have to look into a different software package...

4. Getting used to doing things different with Mac's, but so far, love how to navigate through programs. Had to get used to program menu always being on top of screen, not within the program itself. Also need to get used to shortcut keys, like Applekey-z to undo was my first lesson of the day for a shortcut key junkie.

5. I can' wait to start playing with the rest of the apps, such as GarageBand, iDVD and iMovie, etc. Took quick peeks yesterday and this is going to be so cool!

Probably more, but I'm getting long winded and could go on all day about how much I love the iMac so far!

Reaction score
AGHHH!!! You've made me all jealous now!

I got a text from apple today saying that they had just dispatched my 20" iMac so was well excited as it is a day earlier than they originally said theyd dispatch it...but, i later checked on my account page and it says that the expected delivery date is monday!!!

A friend of mine said that this is because they are made in dublin, but I still cant believe it will take 5 days (ok three working days but still!!) to get here!

How accurate was your delivery estimation if you dont mind me asking?

Oh, and glad your enjoying it, I'm sure I will be doing exactly the same when mine arrives!!

OP
stonesrock
Reaction score
AGHHH!!! You've made me all jealous now!

I got a text from apple today saying that they had just dispatched my 20" iMac so was well excited as it is a day earlier than they originally said theyd dispatch it...but, i later checked on my account page and it says that the expected delivery date is monday!!!

A friend of mine said that this is because they are made in dublin, but I still cant believe it will take 5 days (ok three working days but still!!) to get here!

How accurate was your delivery estimation if you dont mind me asking?

Oh, and glad your enjoying it, I'm sure I will be doing exactly the same when mine arrives!!

I ordered on Dec 30th and with the holidays, it was pushed out a bit, but it came in on the day they targeted. I went with the free shipping, which is Fed-Ex ground. If you want to pay the extra $$, do the express delivery. I must have worn out Fed-Ex tracking seeing where my delivery was at! I could have bought at a store for instant gratification, but wanted the upgrades.

Reaction score
Oh well, Monday it is then! To be fair thats probably a good thing as I have a bit of coursework to get done and if my Mac came in tomorrow there would be no work done until at leas the middle of next week!!!

Carry on enjoying yours and think of me sitting at this pos PC for another 5 days :(

Reaction score
1. Switching from one brand of wireless router (Linksys to Belkin) can be a pain when you don't work with wireless networks all the time.

You should have bought a AirPort Extreme Base Station. Order one now for a Feb. ship.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!
what kind of belkin router do u have
if you have the N1 router like me, stick with it because its one of the best

Reaction score
Sorry for this being now a bit off topic, but just checked the delivery status of my iMac and its now due to be delivered tomorrow!! GET IN!!!!

(Sorry, quite excited, so thought I would share!)

OP
stonesrock
Reaction score
what kind of belkin router do u have
if you have the N1 router like me, stick with it because its one of the best

I did got with the N1 router and all seems to be good. I basically have the Mac and PC desktop wired, the PC laptop my wife uses will be wireless. Also, when I work from home, I will use my work PC laptop and tap into the wireless to VPN in.

OP
stonesrock
Reaction score
Sorry for this being now a bit off topic, but just checked the delivery status of my iMac and its now due to be delivered tomorrow!! GET IN!!!!

(Sorry, quite excited, so thought I would share!)

Cool, you're going to love it. I'm obsessed right now learning everything I can about it, plus getting all my files transfered, new printer setup. Plus, I'm learning that some of my toys are a bit outdated (video camera and digital camera) and not using the firewire causes some issues. Downloaded Mac the Ripper last night, though I didn't get a chance to play with it. Going to check out this Handbrake as well.

Along with getting everything converted, my wife's PC laptop took a crap (won't boot up except in Safe Mode) and I have to put in a new harddrive in order to grab all of the important files stuck on there (Quicken, home videos, music, etc).

Enjoy, understand your excitement!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.