Supported video formats

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, 2.0 core 2 duo, 4 GB Ram, 320 GB HD
Does anyone know if Apple TV will play avi or asf formats?

Reaction score
This is all they say at the apple site:

Video formats supported: H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): 640 by 480, 30 fps, LC version of Baseline Profile; 320 by 240, 30 fps, Baseline profile up to Level 1.3; 1280 by 720, 24 fps, Progressive Main Profile. MPEG-4: 640 by 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile

I guess we will find out more in the near future.

Reaction score
I dont really understand what most of those formats mean but my main hope is that it plays AVI files or VOB files otherwise im gonna be spending half my time converting files down :(

Reaction score
Audio formats include AAC, protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 and variable bit rate MP3, Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV.
Video formats include H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store), 640x480 at 30 frames per second; 320x240 at 30 frames per second; and MPEG-4, 640x480 at 30 frames per second.

But it would not supporthe all file formats, I guess you could convert them to h264 or mpeg4 yourself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I dont really understand what most of those formats mean but my main hope is that it plays AVI files or VOB files otherwise im gonna be spending half my time converting files down :(

Get ready to spend some time converting. Most of those formats are identical to what the iPod requires to play video with the exception of the 1280x720.

They are all either MPEG-4 or H.264/MPEG-4 formats. No VOB, no AVI, no MPEG-2, no asf etc....

Reaction score
Not only time but also money, a majority of this kind of converter software is not free.
Yesterday I wanded to search some news about Apple TV, but ,unexpected I found Imtoo Apple TV video converter!
How fast a new manufacture be devised today!
but if imtoo Apple TV video converter or others can do a good job, it may have a conclusion after test it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Actually HandBrake IS free. It is limited to Main and Baseline profiles, but Simple is expected in the near future. The links in my sig give you detailed how to instructions on how to rip for an iPod, which are pretty much the same settings for AppleTV. 640x480 (Baseline 3.0) is not supported yet, but will be in the next month or so when a new version is released.

Reaction score
you means it haven't been released yet, I believe more product like Imtoo Apple Tv video converter and dvd to Apple Tv converter would be release before long.
But I can't find any other programs for creating Apple TV movies yet. Imtoo Apple TV converter which provides easy and completed ways to convert Apple TV Video from all popular video files, e.g. WMV to Apple TV, MPEG to Apple TV, AVI to Apple TV video.(from imtoo)
Sounds good, right?
But I don't have an Apple TV, now who have an Apple tv who have a voice in which is the best Apple TV converter!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.