New Hard Drive Install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
So i finally got my Mac today and i need to install a 2nd hard drive. Ive got a 3gb/s sata II seagate barracuda hard drive,

first of all do i need to change the jumper settings? i plugged it and started my mac but it said the mac cant recognise is.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to install my new hard drive?

Also how does the hard drive work, i want it just to be an extension of my other hard drive rather than two seperate drives, is this possible?

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
can anyone shed light on this? Ive basically got a 2nd sata HDD install and i want to add the 250GB from that hard drive onto the mac partition if thats possible? rather than having two different drives and having things everywhere

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
So you basically want to add a second HDD?

What format is the HDD?

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
got a seagate 250GB sata II 3gb/s hard drive, its in the bay. i just need to know how i can add the 250gb to the mactintos HD partition if you get what i mean? i dont want it a seperate partition i want it as an extension for the mac hd partition

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
I don't think that is possible, I maybe wrong. I think you have to have it as two partitions as they are two drives.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hope thats not true? im slowly finding out alot of things that macs cant do that PCs have done for years!

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
I have never seen it done with windows either. But I have never tried. But if windows can do it then I am sure OS X can.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Have you looked in Disc utilities? applications>utilities>disk utilities

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah i have had a look round. it can be done in windows in dos.

i dont want to start messing around with the hard drives until i 100% know what im doing.

What about hard drive jumper settings too? Should i take the jumper off to allow for the max 3gb/s transfer rate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There are no jumper settings for SATA drives

There is no way to have it be an extension of the drive (And there isn't in windows either) without using a RAID setup which would require formatting the drives all over

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah i had a feeling it would involve formatting both drives over again.

Ok so i have created a 2nd partition and want to use this for all my work, photography and music. How do i go about moving my music folder from my user folder on the 1st hard drive to the 2nd?

Thanks for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.