New Image Editor for Macs: ChocoFlop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Everyone interested in image editing might want to check out the early alphas of ChocoFlop:

http://www.chocoflop.com/

This is a very promising new Photoshop-lite sort of image editor. It already looks excellent and is very usable. The author's dedication to a fast loading, high performing product is laudable. I tried it out and immediately sent him an email thanking him for the effort to date and encouraging him to keep on.

A similar effort, Seashore, from a completely different author, seems to have died on the vine. I hope that ChocoFlop carries on and matures into the excellent product it has the potential to be!

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, weird name, isn't it? The author appears to be from France - perhaps "chocoflop" means something or suggests something to people in France that isn't obvious to those of us living an another culture. I have emailed the author once already - perhaps I should ask!

EDIT: I have emailed the author and asked where the name comes from. I will post the response when I get it.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK folks here it is! Why name it ChocoFlop? First of all, the author says he likes the name because basically, nothing else is using it. If you Google "ChocoFlop", you pretty much end up pointed at his web site, or sites that are referring to his product. So, it is unique.

Still, there is some logic in the name apparently. "Choco" because it is Cocoa based - a bit of a stretch, but hey, it sort of makes sense. "Flop" because of the gigaflops of throughput you will get out of your video card while using it, thanks to the fact that it uses Mac OS X Core Image technology. This is more of a stretch, but I am OK with it.

All of the above comes from the author's ChocoFlop FAQ. However, he sums it up this way in the email I got back from my query this AM:

"to sum it up, I basically liked the fact that it sounded so ridiculous :) "
There you go! Now you know! The smiley is the author's - I didn't add it myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
it's looking very smooth. Interesting to note, that the app icon is a modified trash icon. It's been widened, with the crack added. This'll be a good app to track, as I too hope it reaches it's potential. Thanks for the link! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
hey thanks i like it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Not sure that I will use it, but its nice to add to the list of "photoshop" alternatives for those who look to save money...

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.