Microsoft's Version

Reaction score
Did anybody catch Bill's little speech about his new stuff? The one that caught my attention was how they are going to use the Xbox 360 as their settop box for their IPTV and for downloading HD movies/TV shows and other assorted little tidbits using their Xbox Live Marketplace. As Bill put it, they already have 10.5 mil boxes in homes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.00Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
I didn't catch this speech but my little bro has an xbox360 which I have set up with windows media connect. It's a great little thing cos whenever i have a party i can stream the music on my pc in my attic to the tv in the livingroom so its just like a jukebox for people to choose from.

You can do videos too straight from your PC and since the Xbox360 supports HD... hehe it does everything I guess. Great how you can listen to your own music while playing games too and then it like auto-pauses for cut-scenes.

So yeah... it pretty much does everything that apple tv does minus iTunes..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
MS has done something right with the 360 for sure with its integration with windows and the streaming and all else.

Reaction score
IPTV is really the only new thing. It has had Media Center integration from the start and you have been able to download HD Movies and TV shows for awhile now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Actually, the iTV thing from Apple seems like a "me too" device on Apple's part. It's nothing particularly new, there are several things of this sort on the market, but if you have a big iTunes library already it would probably be a good solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Is there something on the market that will do that for a mac computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
apple, is mostly, a 'me too' company. I love how they bash Microsoft for stealing their ideas, yet the Unix/Linux community had something like spotlight before OS X - called beagle. A lot of the stuff Apple has, they took from them.. including the base of their O/S..unix.. so who copied/stole what??

Reaction score
I have my Xbox 360 setup with my home network now and its brilliant, streams everything i need really, i dont think ill bother with Itv, it does seem a bit yesterdays news.

actually the 360 is a immense peice of kit, which is the pride of my living room really, the games are superb, its a microsoft winner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Microsoft did well on the XBOX series. Other than that they are a a great selling failure.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
apple, is mostly, a 'me too' company. I love how they bash Microsoft for stealing their ideas, yet the Unix/Linux community had something like spotlight before OS X - called beagle. A lot of the stuff Apple has, they took from them.. including the base of their O/S..unix.. so who copied/stole what??

Thats the way the world works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
true, everyone copies each other

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Microsoft did well on the XBOX series. Other than that they are a a great selling failure.
Which of course explains why 90+% of the world uses Microsoft Windows as the operating system for it's computers.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Yes, and we all know how much exposure the general public has to Unix. Since much of the Unix/Linux world is open source, this is what you get. And just in case your NOT aware, Apple legally acquired the Unix core it uses, so they did not "steal" anything.

This is a Mac forum. Get off your Apple bashing soap box and join us, otherwise your going to have a tough time here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I'd like to hear more about how MS intend people to record HD content onto a 20GB HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
Which of course explains why 90+% of the world uses Microsoft Windows as the operating system for it's computers.
:black:

Just the confused souls.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
true, everyone copies each other

It's not that people copy each other, it's that technology becomes available and requires certain interfaces or designs to be developed.

Your example of Spotlight is just the evolution of file searching, which people have been using and have needed ever since computers had the ability to store more than a handful of files.

It's over simplistic to say this person copied that person or this company ripped that company off - whatever happened to being inspired by something?

OP
Kubrickx
Reaction score
I'd like to hear more about how MS intend people to record HD content onto a 20GB HDD.

Downloads are in VC-1 (aka WMVHD) at 720p, 6.8Mbps video with 5.1 surround.
An average HD movie download should be between 4-5GB, and a two hour SD movie would be 1.6GB.
An average 1 hour (44 min) HDTV download should be about 2.2GB, and an average 1/2 hour (22 min) HDTV download should be about 1GB. A 1 hour SDTV download should be about 600MB, and a 1/2 hour SDTV download should be about 300MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
Yes, and we all know how much exposure the general public has to Unix. Since much of the Unix/Linux world is open source, this is what you get. And just in case your NOT aware, Apple legally acquired the Unix core it uses, so they did not "steal" anything.

This is a Mac forum. Get off your Apple bashing soap box and join us, otherwise your going to have a tough time here.

I can voice my opinion anywhere. Just because you love apple, doesn't mean its not okay to bash the company for a product. I own a lot of apple products, the ones I find that I like. But sometimes a company can produce a crappy or worthless product. Get over it.

Even if Apple 'acquired' it, its still not their 'original' idea.. so they are using an aquired technology to take credit for it and bashing MS.

I hate one-sided people, they never are open-minded to take both sides into consideration. You my friend, will be a failure in life if you keep that mind-set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I can voice my opinion anywhere. Just because you love apple, doesn't mean its not okay to bash the company for a product. I own a lot of apple products, the ones I find that I like. But sometimes a company can produce a crappy or worthless product. Get over it.

Even if Apple 'acquired' it, its still not their 'original' idea.. so they are using an aquired technology to take credit for it and bashing MS.

I hate one-sided people, they never are open-minded to take both sides into consideration. You my friend, will be a failure in life if you keep that mind-set.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAH!

Nice feedback too:

baggss feedback page said:
shut the **** up *******. get a life

When you can't argue rationally, profanity is always a good backup....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.