m4v Vs. MP4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15” Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB HD
What's the difference?

Reaction score
What's the difference?

When you purchase a music video from the iTunes store it comes in the DRM-Protected .m4v format. This is so iTunes can control where you play this purchase, ie on your iPod or your Mac etc.

MPEG-4 is a container format, MP4 files may contain any number of audio, video, and even subtitle streams, making it impossible to guess what type of streams are present in a MP4 file based on its filename extension alone.

For further reading here's the wikipedia link.

OP
hotskate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and I am imagining through AppleTV also ? for the .m4v? does it really matter what format i kinda understand!

Also whats enable H.246 encoding?

Reaction score
OP
hotskate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So for instance iSquint has an option to enable that should I?

Reaction score
So for instance iSquint has an option to enable that should I?

Basically H.264 codec achieves very high data compression offering a high quality video at the same time so while it'll look great, it will take up less space on your iPod.

In my last post I linked to the wiki explanation of the H.264 codec. Feel free to read it to get the bigger picture hotskate...

OP
hotskate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually did google that and got that but i still don't know if i should have it enabled!? sorry

OP
hotskate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ipod video obviously 30 and 80 gig now will all of this have an effect if i also get the AppleTV?

Reaction score
ipod video obviously 30 and 80 gig now will all of this have an effect if i also get the AppleTV?

OK, say you're putting a movie onto your iPod vid using iSquint. You may or may not really care about the finer detail of codecs and what they are really doing to the process of getting your fave movie onto your device..but it's all good if you can fit more content while at the same time you want your movies to look their best.

H.264 is considered by most the next major video codec, and for good reason. It can encode video at great bit rates relatively cleanly--or at high bit rates with amazing quality.

So you're the winner with more content on your iPod which not only takes up less space, looks good too.

It's really no big deal if you just want to download your movies onto your iPod and just watch them without trying to figure out all the goings on in between but enabling it is a good thing IMO.

OP
hotskate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay i will keep it enabled are you familiar with iSquint? also all these videos i have on my ipod now how will it work with AppleTV do you know?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.