My hard drive is full, but with what?!!!

Reaction score
I have a 80GB hard drive but it's full. I have gone through everything I can think of, photos, music, movies, applications, documents, etc and added it all up and it's just under 50GB that I can figure out. Any suggestions on finding a breakdown on what's in this computer? I'm really stuck, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Reaction score
(there must be something about 80G hard drives, or 80G hard drive purchasers, that makes this topic come up twice a day)

mdc79 ... if you do a search, you will find this very exact question asked more than once.

Short answer: formatting the drive takes up space, so it's less than 80G even before they put the first bit of the OS on there. The OS takes up space.

There is a program out there somewhere -- you'll see it referenced repeatedly in the threads you'll find when you search -- that will actually show you exactly where your hard drive space is going. It provides a graphical display, by directory, of your drive space usage.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your suggestions and sorry about the posting issue. New here, wont do it again! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Thank you very much for your suggestions and sorry about the posting issue. New here, wont do it again! :)

Don't worry about it.. we are here to help. not everyone knows about the search feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
one common mistake.......perhaps all of your iTunes content is doubled? meaning that it is in your iTunes library, AND on your hard disk in another location. Check out Finder>Music, and if there are files that arent in your iTunes library folder, but are showing in iTunes, then you can delete them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.