Windows virus while running Bootcamp on my Mac

Reaction score
Next week I am purchasing Mac Book Pro and I have one or two programs that do not have Mac versions. I want to run BootCamp with XP but will this subject my new Mac to all the virus and crap that comes with XP etc.
If so, I wont go down that road because one of the reasons I want to switch is because of all the bugs etc.

2nd question: once I've loaded Bootcamp Beta and XP successfully, if I come across programs in the future that don't have a mac version will I beable to load to the XP side of my mac that program???

If you can't already tell I'm new at this and have been a PC user for 15 years............but I'm finally getting my act together and getting a Mac :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If it can effect windows then it can effect windows. Viruses and other problems effect (or infect if we are being specific to viruses) windows. It does not matter the hardware you are running windows on, windows is windows.

You can run any windows software you want in windows on boot camp.. its still windows.

So your questions 1+2 both have the same answer: yes.

Reaction score
It's important to note, however, that your BootCamp Windows partition cannot read or write to your Mac OS Extended partition. So while you might get a PC virus and it might totally frack your Windows system, you will still be able to reboot into a nice, clean, virus-free Mac OS.

OP
S
Reaction score
So, do you guys think its even an issue.........I guess I could run Norton Anti-virus on my windows side.

I've heard talk of CrossOver Mac............if I'm only going to run one or two programs would it be better to do a emulating program instead of a full blown xp version????
I mean as current Mac users do you find yourself wishing for or sometimes wanting a PC side for running PC programs???

Thoughts opinions and comments.............

Its tough since I'm new to the Mac world..........

Reaction score
You can do a Search, this issue has come up many times.

Short answer:

If you want to run most applications -- except those requiring 3D graphics and those requiring maximum processor power -- you can run an emulator. Parallels is by far the most popular. I use it for running MSIE when I need ActiveX access, and other little necessities that aren't easily (or cheaply) available for Mac yet.

If you do need the full benefit of your process and RAM and video card, then booting directly into WinXP is a much better solution. You do that with BootCamp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.