Pulled the trigger on a Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you shot your macbook? ;)

congrats on your purchase

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am so excited. Been using pc's for 15 years...I hope this transition is easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 30 GB iPod Video
The transition for me has been great. It really isn't the "big deal" that some people like to make it. Give it a patient week and everything will be smooth sailing.

Reaction score
congrats on your mac purchase. ive owned my macbook for about 4 months now and upgraded the ram to 2gb by myself and really love my mac. my windows desktop machine is now collectin dust

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks guys. I am so excited. Been using pc's for 15 years...I hope this transition is easy.

OS X is very easy to use. What's difficult about switching is to forget what you know about computers if that foundation was built upon Windows. There are (obviously) a ton of great threads in this forum that answer many common questions. So, as you go through and find annoyances or things that don't make sense based on your mindset, document them and pose them here (or use the search utility). My first week was a bit rough, but now I feel very comfortable - that only took a week - which is a testament to how user-friendly and easy it is to learn Mac OS.

The funny thing is, I now find myself trying to two-finger tap on Windows notebooks at work ;) As a network admin in a 1200+ Windows machine network, switching my brain from Mac to Windows can be a little tough.

OP
K
Reaction score
OS X is very easy to use. What's difficult about switching is to forget what you know about computers if that foundation was built upon Windows. There are (obviously) a ton of great threads in this forum that answer many common questions. So, as you go through and find annoyances or things that don't make sense based on your mindset, document them and pose them here (or use the search utility). My first week was a bit rough, but now I feel very comfortable - that only took a week - which is a testament to how user-friendly and easy it is to learn Mac OS.

The funny thing is, I now find myself trying to two-finger tap on Windows notebooks at work ;) As a network admin in a 1200+ Windows machine network, switching my brain from Mac to Windows can be a little tough.

Thanks much. I've been on this forum less than a week and it was my deciding factor on buying the mac. My brother knows nothing about computers. I told him it would probably be esier for him to learn on the mac than myself. I feel so dumbed down from years of redundant tasks on the evil pc. I cant wait for friday.

PS. I think my PC knows its getting replaced, because its really acting up.:bushman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
You'll be alright. I've been building PC's for a long time, over 10 years, and haven't had too many issues with the Mac, but there are some things that will take some adjustment. Make it a point to use the search, and you'll do just fine. Congratulations on the switch!

OP
K
Reaction score
I went back and ordered a mac mini a router an a printer. Everything is shipped except the computers. Do they take longer to ship or what?

OP
K
Reaction score
Now they shipped the wireless keyboard for the mac mini..but still no computers. I opted for express delivery. Do you guys think it will ship today? Is the delay because they are being built?

OP
K
Reaction score
They told me today that the macs were custom so it takes longer. This happen to anyone here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GHz 1 GB
Yes. It seems that they package the computers individually according to buyer preferences, so some guy in China has to package the thing before it can be sent to you. I think.

I wanted a MacBook with a Swedish keyboard but with an English operating system, and of course that's a combination that has to be put together manually. It took more than two weeks for me to get the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz(CD)/512/80/128MB VRAM/15"
Kilo, The switch is very easy if your just looking to get back online to do the basics the switch is a snap....

If your a power user then your going to have a bit more of a problem. Personally, i got my MBP 2 days ago and i'm doing OK, I know windows inside, out and backwards. So switching to mac is a pain because you need to learn a whole new set of terminal commands, if your a linuxy kinda guy its alot easier.

Google "OS X Terminal Commands List" and you'll find some great information.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Kilo, The switch is very easy if your just looking to get back online to do the basics the switch is a snap....

If your a power user then your going to have a bit more of a problem. Personally, i got my MBP 2 days ago and i'm doing OK, I know windows inside, out and backwards. So switching to mac is a pain because you need to learn a whole new set of terminal commands, if your a linuxy kinda guy its alot easier.

Google "OS X Terminal Commands List" and you'll find some great information.

That is a very good point. If you want to go outside the bounds of the GUI and get into the guts of the system, a solid understanding of the UNIX shell is a must. I guess I overlooked this as I spent several months learning Linux, so navigating the shell on Darwin/OS X was second nature when I switched. I'd imagine that if you're an old hand at DOS and the Command Prompt in NT, learning new commands like LS instead of DIR and CP instead of COPY would be a bit confusing.

But to be quite honest, the majority of casual users will never even see the *NIX underpinnings of OS X, but you will appreciate the stability and speed it provides.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.