OS 10.4.7 clean reinstall possible?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a MacbookPro which I bought last year. Recently I upgraded QuickTime to 7.1.3 and it was causing a lot of troubles with some of my apps, so I was trying to uninstall it and I ended up damaging the system. Now iChat, Mail, language and intenet connectio display, and a few other apps don't work any more on my computer.... I have a MacbookPro. I think it came with 10.4.7 but since I recently updated it and it's now 10.4.8.

The quicket way to solve this is probably erase the entire computer and re-install the system from the original DVD, but I am hesitating to do so because it's really complicated to make backup of all the files and reinstall all the apps...

So, I am wondering if there is any way that I can simply reinstall the system without erasing the entire disk. If anyone has done this or has any suggestions please let me know. I would really really appreciate it.

Thanks bunch in advance.

DA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
c. 2003 PowerMac G5 1.6 GHz; 3GB RAM; NVIDIA FX 5200 Ultra w/Apple 20" Display
'S Not So Complicated

Design Agent,

Wiping a factory-installed system and placing a new, clean OS-X image on the drive is like receiving manna from heaven.

To save all your files, pics and other stuff, here's what you need do:

Place a fresh CD in the SD and wait until the image comes up on Desktop. Click "ok" at the Finder prompt and then double-click that image to open the burn folder.

See the words "Recordable CD" and "Burn" across the top of the folder, superimposed over a dark brown bar?

Just drag the items you want to save into that folder and click "Burn."

For instance, let's say you want to save all your documents — Double-click on your HD icon to load a second Finder window; drag the second window into position next to the first (if you have enough screen-space; if not, simply position folder # 2 catter-cornered, or where it is accessible for a drag operation); click [user-name] in the second folder's sidebar and drag the folder named "Documents" across, into the burn folder.

That's all there is to it.

Remember that OS X 10.4 creates a temp folder for material to be burned, using shortcuts to signify that those files are "in the loop."

Treat of all files and folders; pictures, etc., the same way. Save your email folder, too, if you wish, by clicking your user-name/Library/Mail and dragging Mail into the burn folder. To save only Sent Messages, etc., just open Mail and drag out what you want to keep. In the new system you'll be able to import those files from CD.

A copy of Bookmarks is also nice to save, since that allows you to resume browsing in the new system right where you left off in the old.

To copy bookmarks.plist (or drag it) go [user-name]/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist and either copy/paste (recommended) or drag it into the burn folder.

Later, copy the old Bookmarks.plist from CD after the reinstall is complete, and with that image on the clipboard open [HD]/Users/Library/Safari; open Safari, and click on the existing (new & MT) Bookmarks.plist ONCE to highlight it. . . then go up to the Edit menu and click Paste. A popup will then appear advising that you are about to replace a newer file with an older one, etc. That's exactly what you want to do, so click ok.

Now, you're all set: Click "Burn" and make sure the burn speed you're using is compatible with your Superdrive's capabilities. Some of the new-format, fast media will permit speeds up to 24x; so be careful. If you burn an image to 24x media using, say, a 4x drive you may be in trouble, although the OS X Superdrive should auto-detect a safe level.

This safeguard is not necessarily present, however, in aftermarket burning software, such as BurnAgain. So use media/speeds compatible with your drive's format. Pre-setting everything before-hand is good policy.

In most cases, if media is "too fast" your Superdrive will fail to detect it. Period. If the media BORDERS on being too fast and is detected. . . therein lies a risk of burning at a speed faster than what is supported by your hardware. If this happens, the CD may be unusable afterwards, and you will be an unhappy camper. So always check to make sure that your burn speed is set at max for your HARDWARE. . . NOT for the media!!

On uninstalling apps: best way is probably to just drag the image from the Applications folder to the Trash and then use Secure Empty Trash from the Finder menu. A BIG file like Quick Time takes a while to fully shred, so be patient. Trying to dig out and remove all of Quick Time's massive file system is risky business, and should be avoided. Dragging the app icon to Trash is sufficient. Afterwards, secure-shredding prevents the dumping of intact files into freespace.

'Course, if you do, there's a new wrinkle in Tiger that permits the shredding of freespace files, as well. You'll see it in Disk Utility under [HD]/Disk Utility/Erase/Erase Free Space.

It's surprising what a freespace wipe can do for processor speed and overall smooth-sailing.

Good fortune with your new system!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Design Agent,

Wiping a factory-installed system and placing a new, clean OS-X image on the drive is like receiving manna from heaven.

To save all your files, pics and other stuff, here's what you need do:

Place a fresh CD in the SD and wait until the image comes up on Desktop. Click "ok" at the Finder prompt and then double-click that image to open the burn folder.

See the words "Recordable CD" and "Burn" across the top of the folder, superimposed over a dark brown bar?

Just drag the items you want to save into that folder and click "Burn."

For instance, let's say you want to save all your documents — Double-click on your HD icon to load a second Finder window; drag the second window into position next to the first (if you have enough screen-space; if not, simply position folder # 2 catter-cornered, or where it is accessible for a drag operation); click [user-name] in the second folder's sidebar and drag the folder named "Documents" across, into the burn folder.

That's all there is to it.

Remember that OS X 10.4 creates a temp folder for material to be burned, using shortcuts to signify that those files are "in the loop."

Treat of all files and folders; pictures, etc., the same way. Save your email folder, too, if you wish, by clicking your user-name/Library/Mail and dragging Mail into the burn folder. To save only Sent Messages, etc., just open Mail and drag out what you want to keep. In the new system you'll be able to import those files from CD.

A copy of Bookmarks is also nice to save, since that allows you to resume browsing in the new system right where you left off in the old.

To copy bookmarks.plist (or drag it) go [user-name]/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist and either copy/paste (recommended) or drag it into the burn folder.

Later, copy the old Bookmarks.plist from CD after the reinstall is complete, and with that image on the clipboard open [HD]/Users/Library/Safari; open Safari, and click on the existing (new & MT) Bookmarks.plist ONCE to highlight it. . . then go up to the Edit menu and click Paste. A popup will then appear advising that you are about to replace a newer file with an older one, etc. That's exactly what you want to do, so click ok.

Now, you're all set: Click "Burn" and make sure the burn speed you're using is compatible with your Superdrive's capabilities. Some of the new-format, fast media will permit speeds up to 24x; so be careful. If you burn an image to 24x media using, say, a 4x drive you may be in trouble, although the OS X Superdrive should auto-detect a safe level.

This safeguard is not necessarily present, however, in aftermarket burning software, such as BurnAgain. So use media/speeds compatible with your drive's format. Pre-setting everything before-hand is good policy.

In most cases, if media is "too fast" your Superdrive will fail to detect it. Period. If the media BORDERS on being too fast and is detected. . . therein lies a risk of burning at a speed faster than what is supported by your hardware. If this happens, the CD may be unusable afterwards, and you will be an unhappy camper. So always check to make sure that your burn speed is set at max for your HARDWARE. . . NOT for the media!!

On uninstalling apps: best way is probably to just drag the image from the Applications folder to the Trash and then use Secure Empty Trash from the Finder menu. A BIG file like Quick Time takes a while to fully shred, so be patient. Trying to dig out and remove all of Quick Time's massive file system is risky business, and should be avoided. Dragging the app icon to Trash is sufficient. Afterwards, secure-shredding prevents the dumping of intact files into freespace.

'Course, if you do, there's a new wrinkle in Tiger that permits the shredding of freespace files, as well. You'll see it in Disk Utility under [HD]/Disk Utility/Erase/Erase Free Space.

It's surprising what a freespace wipe can do for processor speed and overall smooth-sailing.

Good fortune with your new system!
Ugh.
Archive. And. Install.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions. I chose "Archive and Install" option when I inserted the system disc and it installed a new system while th eold system was moved to "previous system" folder. So far my computer seems to working fine as all the prefs and settings have been transferred. and QT has been fixed too, yeah!

Thanks bunch for all your help.

DA

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.