• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

apple inc???!?!?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
I dont like that. I think they should keep Apple Computer because all their products are still computers.

Apple computer is also good because it reflects there past

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
But all their products are not computers. The iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, and Airport are not computers. The new name just reflects Apples move into a more general consumer electronics company.

U

UncSki1218

Personally, I think Apple changing their name is odd. Steve Jobs was always bothered when asked too much about the iPod saying that Apple was a computer company first. It's weird for him to choose to drop "Computer" from the name. This tells me that Jobs has changed his mind (probably because of the iPhone) and may focus less on the computers. I doubt we'll see Apple Computers fade away, but we clearly will be seeing much more focus on other products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Oh quit complaining, you're still going to call it "Apple" anyway ;)

And as Schweb said, it shows that Apple is moving more towards consumer electronics (which includes computer).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
But all their products are not computers. The iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, and Airport are not computers. The new name just reflects Apples move into a more general consumer electronics company.

They're all computers. They may not look like them, but they're all computers, with processing units and memory and software, every one of them.

I only wonder what this focus-shift means for the future of the Mac platform. I like the iPod and newer gadgets just fine, but my Mac is the only thing I depend on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
They're all computers. They may not look like them, but they're all computers, with processing units and memory and software, every one of them.

I only wonder what this focus-shift means for the future of the Mac platform. I like the iPod and newer gadgets just fine, but my Mac is the only thing I depend on.

I am worrying about the same thing. My macs are all I have that keep me going, with school and work. I do ALL my work on them, if they start to not be as good because Apple is starting to focus on other things, I will not be happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I view it as an admission that Apple is not "just" a computer company anymore. They have branched out into other devices, but each and every one of those devices is still designed to integrate seamlessly with a Mac. Sure they may work with Windows, but they work better with a Mac. It's a part of the draw. I'm already seeing people jumping on the Mac bandwagon because of the iPhone and it's not even available yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I think it's a good thing.. it does more accurately describe what they do now, but it's going to be weird for awhile calling it Apple, Inc :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Apple are still a computer company first, but that doesn't mean that only build the computers themselves. I mean, what use is an iPod, airport extreme or appleTV if you don't use it _with_ a computer? They are devices intended to be use by and with a computer, and I would say the iPhone can be safely classified as a computer in its own right. Even the consumer electronics Apple make are designed to fit neatly within the world of Mac.

Note that I am using computer in the 'Personal Computer' meaning of the word. I know that they are all, technically, computing devices ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Another thing just came to mind, it seems very close (perhaps too close) to Apple Corps for my liking.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
I just hope they remember that computers is there past and that they continue to focus alot of there attention on computers, not ipods and other gadgets.

I would be mad if one day apple no longer made computers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Evolution happens. With so many new products coming soon from Apple, the new name gives them and the public a clear image of where they have been and where they are heading. I find it kind of funny that people may be upset at them dropping "Computer" from their legal name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I just hope they remember that computers is there past and that they continue to focus alot of there attention on computers, not ipods and other gadgets.

I would be mad if one day apple no longer made computers
I wouldn't be worried about that. Since the iPod's creation in 2001 we have gotten

PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)

iBook (14.1")
iMac (Flat Panel)
Power Macintosh G4 (Quicksilver 2002)
eMac
PowerBook G4 (DVI)
iBook (Mid 2002)
Xserve
iMac (17")
Power Macintosh G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors)
iBook (Late 2002)
PowerBook G4 (1 GHz/867 MHz)

Power Macintosh G4 (FireWire 800)
PowerBook G4 (12.1")
PowerBook G4 (17")
iMac (Early 2003)
Xserve (Cluster Node)
Xserve (Slot Load) / Xserve RAID
iBook (Early 2003)
iPod (Dock Connector)
eMac (ATI Graphics)
Power Macintosh G5
iMac (USB 2.0)
PowerBook G4 (12.1" DVI)
PowerBook G4 (15" FireWire 800)
PowerBook G4 (17" 1.33 GHz)
iBook G4

iPod mini
Xserve G5
Xserve G5 (Cluster Node)
eMac (USB 2.0)
iBook G4 (Early 2004)
PowerBook G4 Family
Power Macintosh G5 (June 2004)
iPod (Click Wheel)
iMac G5
iBook G4 (Late 2004)
iPod (U2 Special Edition)
iPod photo

iPod shuffle
Mac mini
PowerBook G4 (1.5 - 1.67 GHz)
iPod mini (2nd gen)
Power Macintosh G5 (Early 2005)
eMac (2005)
iMac G5 (Ambient Light Sensor)
iPod (color U2 SE)
iPod (color)

iBook G4 (Mid 2005)
iPod nano
iMac G5 (iSight)
iPod (with video)
Power Macintosh G5 (Late 2005)
PowerBook G4 (Dual Layer SD)

iMac (Early 2006)
MacBook Pro
Mac mini (Early 2006)
MacBook Pro (17-inch)
MacBook
iPod (with video, U2 SE)
iMac (Mid 2006)
Mac Pro
iMac (Late 2006)
iPod nano (Second Generation)
iPod shuffle (Second Generation)

Now thats a whole lot of stuff besides the iPod..and sales have been getting better every year, there is no reason why Apple would stop making computers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
i like it. their products have expanded beyond computers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.