• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple announces new Airport Extreme basestation

Reaction score
deff looks cool.. i have a linksys router.. does anyone know if the airport extreme only lets apple computers run off of it?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Airport base stations support any computer that has 802.11x compatibility...basically anything.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think alot of it is personal choice. A router is a router and you can certainly find them cheaper than the Airport.

For me I choose the airport because of its simplicity in design and function. Both the way it looks as well as the software to manager it.

But if that's not a big deal to you, I'd very much recommend getting a cheaper router as in the end, it's just a networking device.

Reaction score
and they dropped the price by $20.00.

Reaction score
true, but a linksys router (newer one) is like 120-130$ anyway.. so i'd rather just get this..

U

UncSki1218

Sadly, I am most excited by this of all the new products. It's affordable (unlike the iPhone), yet for some reason Jobs didn't even bother mentioning it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I think i will be getting the airport extreme with the "n" so that I can have apple TV at a faster rate.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've already pre-ordered it.

Reaction score
The page footnotes imply that if any non-n hardware joins the network, the network slows to 802.11a/b/g speeds. That would keep me from diving in. Buying a new router is one thing; having to buy new cards for every single device in my house to make it worthwhile is something altogether less appealing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yep that's why Im waiting to get it yet.. once I update all my systems to n then Ill be getting it definitely. I like the new form factor better than the old Base station, just because it's easier to fit in, but I do like the stylishness of the gumdrop :)

Reaction score
im thinkn of gettin one. but my mbp isnt N compatable. so that kinda blows. if anyone is upgrading and looking to sell there previous airports. ill be interested!

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The page footnotes imply that if any non-n hardware joins the network, the network slows to 802.11a/b/g speeds. That would keep me from diving in. Buying a new router is one thing; having to buy new cards for every single device in my house to make it worthwhile is something altogether less appealing.

I needed a new router anyway, my 5 year old Airport Extreme is acting flaky so it's a good reason to buy it.

The whole thing about dropping speed if a lower device is connected isn't new, and isn't unique to Apple. It's part of the spec. It's the same thing if you're using a G router and a B device connects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, Ti 15", 512MB RAM, OSX Tiger
Do the new LinkSys routers also function as print servers? I serve two laptops and a desktop with my Airport Extreme and the thing that made me choose it four years ago over the $50 Linksys was the USB print server.

I'll probably upgrade next time I buy a new laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I don't think the whole network slows, I think just that device doesn't receive any of the benefits of N's speed or distance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook w/ 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 512MB memory & SuperDrive
I've noticed that no-one has mentioned the fact that this has a usb plug-in on it. My thinking is that the usb is new. I have never owned an Airport Extreme in the past and that is why I have this impression. I like this feature because I have an old tower pc & last spring I bought an Intel MacBook. This will allow me to use external HDs and printers on both machines without spending a fortune to network them.

Does anyone else see this feature as a benefit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The USB port is a huge selling point for me. I was never worried about for a printer because my printer has a Ethernet port which makes networking it very easy, but being able to have a NAS drive setup with just a USB hard drive is very nice...now all we need is better driving mapping abilities

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
Is it true that the C2D macs have hidden "n" capabilities that will be unlocked via firmware? Or, more specifically, what I heard was the updates are included on the set up cd with the Airport.

Has this been confirmed and I just missed it when it got lost with all the iPhone excitement?

Anyways, sexy design... I love the hershey style... but this will look sleeker and fit better in my set up...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Included software and accessories
* AirPort Utility for Mac and Windows
* AirPort Disk Utility for Mac and Windows
* 802.11n Enabler for Mac
* Bonjour for Windows
* Power cord
* Printed and electronic documentation

Yes the C2D macs have N cards that just need to be activated

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.