doing html/editor advice

Q

quackbook

Ok, I can usually just open a .html file with notepad to edit the html for windows.

I can't seem to do that with OS X. I open a .html file with textedit and it just tries to read the html in the file.

What is the proper way of doing this on a mac?

OP
M

MacHeadCase

I would think you have to make sure TextEdit is set to use Plain Text instead of Rich Text.

Or you can download Smultron, it's free.

Or another one you can try is Bare Bones Software's TextWrangler, it's freebie as well.

OP
Q

quackbook

external editor

I need an external editor for cyberduck.

I am currently using textmate 30-day trial but I need something free and simple.

thanks

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Like I posted, TextWrangler and Smultron are free. And some people I know use TextEdit as well, they just put the prefs to Plain Text instead of Rich Text.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Free and simple? Try this wee app i coded myself in Java http://www.irishbikeracing.com/nimug/texteditor.app.zip

It has the added feature that it can retrieve text files (HTML,CSS,TXT etc) from the web by typing in a URL and hitting a button.

ps. only download if you actually want it, to save my bandwidth.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Once downloaded, remove the .zip file extension

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
As recommended, TextWrangler is fantastic, and free. I highly recommend it as the best text editing solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.