Power Never Gets To 100%

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this problem? I have a new Macbook, and the light on the magsafe adapter turns green, but the battery percentage on the top right of my screen never shows 100%. It always hovers between 96 and 98%

~Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 30 GB iPod Video
Do searches on battery health. Overtime your battery will stop being able to hold full charge. This shouldn't happen quickly though, if it does it may indicate some kind of problem. I'm pretty sure this has been discussed in this forum previously

Reaction score
Mine gets to 100%. i think you should call apple, you might have a defective battery. Although, it might just take a while for your computer to read it correctly.

Mine starts charging veerrrry slowly when it gets above 95%, but thats normal for recharging a lithium ion battery (to keep the battery safe).

OP
D
Reaction score
Mine gets to 100%. i think you should call apple, you might have a defective battery. Although, it might just take a while for your computer to read it correctly.

Mine starts charging veerrrry slowly when it gets above 95%, but thats normal for recharging a lithium ion battery (to keep the battery safe).

does your little LED light turn green before your battery reads 100%?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Does anyone else have this problem? I have a new Macbook, and the light on the magsafe adapter turns green, but the battery percentage on the top right of my screen never shows 100%. It always hovers between 96 and 98%

~Dan

I have a PB and it has a new battery and I hardly ever see it get to 100%. the light does go green before it hits %100. In the last 2-3 months i have seen it at 100% maybe 2-3 times..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
This is completely normal. It is not a sign of the battery deteriorating.

When the battery is a couple years old and doesn't hold as much of a charge, it will still show 98 to 100% when the battery is full...it will simply drain more quickly.

My last PowerBook never went higher than 98% until I calibrated the battery (see Apple's support pages on how to do this). About 25% of all client machines I work on, also never reach 100%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
mine was @99% for a night, then i ran on battery to just under %50, then charged and it hit %100 again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Calibrate your battery. Almost any strange macbook related battery problems can be fixed with a good calibration :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Just unplug your system, let it get down to about 94% and plug it back in. It should then get back to 100%.

Most systems will not start charging the battery until it gets below 94%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 and a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
My battery is new and does that sometimes also. It actually did that on one of the first few charges and I was worried. But then I plugged it in after using the battery for a while and it went to 100%. Right now it is at 99% and I am not worried because the battery still lasts long.

What I have noticed is that if my laptop is plugged into the wall for a long time (>24 hours) it will do the 99% thing. But if I am frequently using the battery alone because of travel, it will more frequently reach 100% when charged fully. IMO it is just a quirky thing that you shouldn't worry about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.