Adium Not Connecting Properly

Reaction score
I have had Adium on my MacBook for a while. I recently just got a new Netgear wireless router. When I attempt to connect with Adium over the wireless network it acts very odd. It connects then disconnects very rapidly and then gives me an error message that reads:

"You have been connecting and disconnecting too frequently. Wait ten minutes and try again. If you continue to try, you will need to wait even longer."

This all happens with me only pressing connect once. I have no idea what is causing this weird behavior. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
that's really odd. Is there any advantage with the Netgear Wireless Router over Apple's Airport? I just got Airport Express and have had zero problems with connections.

All signs would point to the router, I guess. Try using a wired connection through your ethernet port to see if the problem vanishes. If so, you know where the problem is. Also, how strong is the signal where you're currently attempting to connect?

OP
O
Reaction score
I plugged it in a the problem persists. The router is literally 5 feet from the computer. The even weirder thing is the fact that my PC that is running Gaim and is hooked up to the same router works fine. I'm thoroughly confused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
perhaps reinstalling Adium would solve the problem. I don't recall any kind of connection preferences in Adium (not that you could access them in the current situation anyway). I believe apps like Appzapper are good for situations like this, as they should clear all traces of the application so you can start fresh.

Have any other internet apps been acting up? Try another chat app to see if the same thing happens to them. If not, then it seems it must be Adium, in which case I'd be trying to reinstall it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
This may not work for your situation but when I was having trouble connecting to Adium I changed the port to 80 and all my problems dissapeared.

Reaction score
lol i had the same problem, the final test is grab a buddys laptop and try AIM at your house. If it does the same thing, its your router! First step is to dissconnect the power for ten seconds, plug it in, and walahha it (hopefully) will work.

Reaction score
All you have to do is check the checkbox "Disable SPI Firewall" under WAN in your router settings.

This will solve that problem. The SPI firewall is not the routers main firewall. It is a SECOND firewall that safe guards against DOS attacks. It is not necessary to have enabled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.