iMac g3 indigo.. won't boot os9 cd

Reaction score
Hey all,

My first time here.. So hello all, nice to be here :d

I've been having a look about the board for a solution to a problem, but wondered if anybody could shed some light on a boot problem i have with an elderly iMac g3 indigo.

Basically I've tried zapping the pram, i am holding c down when trying to boot my os9 cd and all i get is a little icon with a '?' then a smiley face in an os 9 style blue/purple folder icon. This icon keeps continually flashing.

The machine will however boot my os x cd and i can get into disc utility, but can't obviously install anything because i need to run the iMac firmware update.

Ultimately I would like to use os x on to the machine.

Incidentally I don't believe there is a problem with the HDD becuase the os x disc utility can erase and format the drive okay.

Any ideas?

Pram battery? logic board?

Cheers,

Alex :headphone

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Is the OS 9 CDROM a bootable disk?

I would have to locate my disk to be sure, but I remember one of the disk is not bootable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4 / 1,42Ghz / 1GB / 100Gb / Superdrive / 10.4.11
Is the OS 9 CDROM a bootable disk?

In my experience, os9 is a bootable disc. Funny thing is, I was having problems booting from the OSX cd on my old g3, while the os9 was fine. I forget if those old iMacs can do target disk mode, but if you can't solve your cd problem, maybe you can use that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.