iPhone...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
do you think they will make hard covers for it like ipods ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
the back is just like an ipod, i think it has the apple logo as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I guess that's just how it's done in the cell phone world. Most phones are with only 1 provider for a year or 2. And even then (I'm thinking of the motorola v60 series and razr), when they are with multiple carriers, some carrier's versions are better than the other. I think Verizon had the razr 1st, but when cingular got it, verizon got an updated version with more bells&whistles than cingular's version. they may be even now...I'm talking a few years ago.

It's been my experience that they are all pretty much equal...you trade one problem for another. Who's signal is better just depends on where you are.

Now, with iPhone...that is one sleek interface. I'm really impressed with Apple. They know how to design a GUI. Not sure I like their new name - Apple, Inc. Now its too much like the record label. All their products are still computers or computer software/peripherals, even the phone. It's a specialized computer, but it's still a computer.

Actually, I think it's mostly just the US that is stuck the "you've got to put up with whatever the cell companies dictate" problem. I think that EU regulations prevent providers from locking phones or refusing to use other compatible phones people got elsewhere.

After the initial OMG I WANT ONE reaction, a scan through the specs shows that it's pretty much all been done before (except maybe the multi-touch thing). Now I'm sure Apple is going to do an outstanding job with it, but ultimately, how is it really going to be that much better than what is already on the market? mp3 playback, third party apps, and the rest is all functionallity that is already currently on the market. So does Apple really expect to ship 10 million units through Cingular only, when they have other smartphones on the market at a cheaper price? Particularly when companies that ship their fist model cell phones notoriously have problems with them. Maybe Apple will get it right the first try, but I'm expecting at least minor bugs for the first few months. We'll see I guess. But with my current contract and my disdain for cingular (see above post), I won't have one of these for some time. Not until 2nd gen at least the way things look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It will use the same Dock connect as the iPod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Anyone heard anything about a price tag?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4 / 1,42Ghz / 1GB / 100Gb / Superdrive / 10.4.11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16GB iPhone, 17" iMac, 13" MacBook & 17" MacBook Pro
awesome. my plan with Cingular runs out in September so I can get this phone at a good price or I may ask for one for my birthday in August.

I think the phone and its options seem to be, as usual, first rate.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
After the initial OMG I WANT ONE reaction, a scan through the specs shows that it's pretty much all been done before (except maybe the multi-touch thing). Now I'm sure Apple is going to do an outstanding job with it, but ultimately, how is it really going to be that much better than what is already on the market? mp3 playback, third party apps, and the rest is all functionallity that is already currently on the market. So does Apple really expect to ship 10 million units through Cingular only, when they have other smartphones on the market at a cheaper price? Particularly when companies that ship their fist model cell phones notoriously have problems with them. Maybe Apple will get it right the first try, but I'm expecting at least minor bugs for the first few months. We'll see I guess. But with my current contract and my disdain for cingular (see above post), I won't have one of these for some time. Not until 2nd gen at least the way things look.

All of the other phones make serious compromises in other areas though. Can't play DRM iTunes, or if they can, they are limited to 100 songs. Usually they're ugly, have small screens or are bulky (or all 3 occasionally), or even worse come with Windows CE and won't talk to your mac or even Windows for that matter.

I have high hopes for this device - it's sleek, has full functionality and looks delicious. The Cingular contract is horrible though and will cripple sales, especially in the USA. It'll be interesting to see who the international partners are.

Reaction score
i would just get one , and unlock it, but then i cant have insurance on it. .which means i would be paying 600 for a new one.. which isnt happening.. unless you can buy it from the apple store and get apple care for it.. thats a diff story ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
All of the other phones make serious compromises in other areas though. Can't play DRM iTunes, or if they can, they are limited to 100 songs. Usually they're ugly, have small screens or are bulky (or all 3 occasionally), or even worse come with Windows CE and won't talk to your mac or even Windows for that matter.

I have high hopes for this device - it's sleek, has full functionality and looks delicious. The Cingular contract is horrible though and will cripple sales, especially in the USA. It'll be interesting to see who the international partners are.

Well, not being a fan of DRM, I don't buy from iTunes so that's not particularly an issue for me. Buy CDs and rip them for better quality and greater control over your music...but that's just me.

I used to have a couple of different models of smartphone-- a Nokia 3650 (symbian series 60) and a Motorolla mpx 220 (Windows Mobile 2003). Both were good at what they did (though the Motorolla wasn't loud enough). Both had mp3 playback. But I found that even with third party apps, mp3 playback, contact syncing and the like, I never really used them for much more than a phone most of the time, and both of them had battery life issues when used for any length of time.

But don't get me wrong, I'd love to throw away $500 on one of these ;) It just doesn't look like that I'll be able to get one befor 2009, at which point it'll likely be in gen 2 and a bunch of other companies will be competing directly with it. shrug.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I have a feeling that international versions, presumably unlocked, will be going for a premium to US buyers wanting to use on T-Mobile. At least, I assume that they (overseas versions) would be unlocked, since there is no Cingular partner overseas.

Reaction score
Yeah, my first impulse is to want one right away. But then I remember I'm continuously annoyed at phones that compromise reception and basic phone features for bells and whistles. I still miss my StarTac. If the iPhone is a phone first and the features build upon a solid phone foundation I'll be impressed.

But, daaang, that thing is pretty.

Reaction score
I don't think there has ever been a cell phone that I just HAD to have...until now. 6 Months to wait...uhg....

I feel the same way! I have never gotten this excited about any product before (other then a Mac itself) but my excitement is tempered by 1) The cost and 2) Having to switch to Cingular.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Well, not being a fan of DRM, I don't buy from iTunes so that's not particularly an issue for me. Buy CDs and rip them for better quality and greater control over your music...but that's just me.

I hear you there and, personally, I'm the same. However we're talking about Joe Average here...

But don't get me wrong, I'd love to throw away $500 on one of these ;) It just doesn't look like that I'll be able to get one befor 2009, at which point it'll likely be in gen 2 and a bunch of other companies will be competing directly with it. shrug.

I think I am in the same boat. All other things being equal, it'd be nice to have this - I just looks lovely - but competition is a fine thing and Apple have yet to prove themselves in a market where competition is fierce and there are no real standards yet. It'll be interesting to see how they leverage iTunes to gain market share.

Watch out for Microsoft - they're never far behind a good idea... :spook:

Yeah, my first impulse is to want one right away. But then I remember I'm continuously annoyed at phones that compromise reception and basic phone features for bells and whistles. I still miss my StarTac. If the iPhone is a phone first and the features build upon a solid phone foundation I'll be impressed.

But, daaang, that thing is pretty.

I miss my Sony Z5

[dead image link removed]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15” Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB HD
will this come out for Verizon?

Reaction score
does anyone think that if you buy it from the apple store, that there will be a apple care option?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.