iPhone...

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Reaction score
i would just get one , and unlock it, but then i cant have insurance on it. .which means i would be paying 600 for a new one.. which isnt happening.. unless you can buy it from the apple store and get apple care for it.. thats a diff story ...

It wouldn't work. I think part of Apple's plan of teaming up with ONE provider is software features. Merging calls isn't necessarily gonna work on every provider. I think Cingular has done some hard work too to make the iPhone sing on their network. This won't be an unlockable phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have a feeling that international versions, presumably unlocked, will be going for a premium to US buyers wanting to use on T-Mobile. At least, I assume that they (overseas versions) would be unlocked, since there is no Cingular partner overseas.

I would be very surprised if apple didn't partner up with a european provider as well

Reaction score
It wouldn't work. I think part of Apple's plan of teaming up with ONE provider is software features. Merging calls isn't necessarily gonna work on every provider. I think Cingular has done some hard work too to make the iPhone sing on their network. This won't be an unlockable phone.

this is true

I would be very surprised if apple didn't partner up with a european provider as well

me too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4 / 1,42Ghz / 1GB / 100Gb / Superdrive / 10.4.11
Reaction score
Cingular probably paid apple a lot of money for the exclusive rights to it, and they wouldn't demand to cripple the phone like verizon would. Sales will still be very high for a first generation specialty product, and apple will be doing very well with the money from cingular.

Precisely.

First, Apple had to team with someone to develop the software that will run many of the new features that will only be in the iPhone.

Second, Apple is only trying to get 1% of the market over the next year. What percentage of the market is currently owned by smartphone-using Cingular customers? A lot of them are going to switch, I bet. Add the Cingular customers who finally have a reason to get a smartphone ... after all, the impetus for the smart phone was, "Why should I carry a phone & a PDA if I can just carry a phone?" Now it's "Why should I carry a smartphone and an iPod when I can just carry an iPhone?"

I can already think of a dozen reasons why my company should buy me one. The ability to do presentations for customers on my telephone "screen" alone will increase sales and productivity. It would pay for itself the first time I used it.

As for Verizon -- which is my current provider and I've been extremely happy for them -- they are always the slowest to adopt new technology. To their credit, a major reason for this is that they test new phones and equipment to be absolutely certain it will work in their network. Verizon is always the safe choice if you don't need to chase the latest-greatest.

I'm unsure about Cingular; I've certainly heard more than my share of horror stories.

The iPhone is a "probable" for me, pending a better warm-&-fuzzy regarding Cingular over the next six months.

Reaction score
The phone will be offered exclusively through Cingular in the US in June, and will come to Europe in Q4 2007, and Asia in 2008. A 4 GB model will be offered for $499 with a 2 year contract, and an 8 GB model will fetch $599 with similar contract provisions.

Never mind. I don't want it THAT much. :) I was thinking $399 with contract...I could never justify $500+ to the wife for "a phone."

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Precisely.

First, Apple had to team with someone to develop the software that will run many of the new features that will only be in the iPhone.

Second, Apple is only trying to get 1% of the market over the next year. What percentage of the market is currently owned by smartphone-using Cingular customers? A lot of them are going to switch, I bet. Add the Cingular customers who finally have a reason to get a smartphone ... after all, the impetus for the smart phone was, "Why should I carry a phone & a PDA if I can just carry a phone?" Now it's "Why should I carry a smartphone and an iPod when I can just carry an iPhone?"

I can already think of a dozen reasons why my company should buy me one. The ability to do presentations for customers on my telephone "screen" alone will increase sales and productivity. It would pay for itself the first time I used it.

As for Verizon -- which is my current provider and I've been extremely happy for them -- they are always the slowest to adopt new technology. To their credit, a major reason for this is that they test new phones and equipment to be absolutely certain it will work in their network. Verizon is always the safe choice if you don't need to chase the latest-greatest.

I'm unsure about Cingular; I've certainly heard more than my share of horror stories.

The iPhone is a "probable" for me, pending a better warm-&-fuzzy regarding Cingular over the next six months.

What I find interesting is that it appears that the primary software synchronization is provided by iTunes. That will never fly in the corporate world (or at least it shouldn't) where the lion's share of Smartphones are deployed. I'm certain this wasn't the target market to begin with, but most consumers (even the tech-loving, trendy ones) will be hard-pressed to change providers and/or shell out almost $600 for a Smartphone - even one that has an "integrated" iPod. It is interesting, nonetheless. My hope is that Apple will license the UI and SFF version of OS X to other phone makers. That would be the major cash cow (IMO). But knowing Apple's track record, they'd rather it crash and burn then to let another company build a phone around their software.

Reaction score
If a new iTunes comes out that can sync my iPhone with Outlook, Lotus Notes, ACT, or whatever corporate contact system I'm using ... then I doubt anyone will care that it's called "iTunes" and can also be used to jam to tunes.

Reaction score
My best guess for Europe is Vodafone. They have the most countries under their arm (including Switzerland, yay, which is non-EU but has a huge Apple Mac Market share of over 10%).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If a new iTunes comes out that can sync my iPhone with Outlook, Lotus Notes, ACT, or whatever corporate contact system I'm using ... then I doubt anyone will care that it's called "iTunes" and can also be used to jam to tunes.

Clearly you don't work in IT :) We get hung up over Weatherbug, let alone a fat app like iTunes. Internet-centric applications represent a security threat among other things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Clearly you don't work in IT :) We get hung up over Weatherbug, let alone a fat app like iTunes. Internet-centric applications represent a security threat among other things.

Not to mention some sort of new push email that people are going to work with their current email setup. And I'm convinced that weatherbug was made by Satan himself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13inch white 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM
I have Cingular and hopefully I can upgrade to the iPhone when it comes out. But June??? Ugh. The wait!

There was a post about how Cingular had the Razor first and now other providers have it. I bet if the demand and sales are there then other carriers will have it. Or I wouldnt be surprised if a 2nd Gen iPhone gets released later (maybe not long after) and more carriers get that. Who knows Cingular may be test. Just a thought. Who knows. I am still keeping my iPod!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
when will we be able to get in in canda? becasue you can't get cingular up here :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not to mention some sort of new push email that people are going to work with their current email setup. And I'm convinced that weatherbug was made by Satan himself.

Dan, AGREED completely. I hate WeatherBug with a Passion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 800MHz, 12" Powerbook G4 1.33 GHz, iPod 40GB
I'm surprised no one has metioned the "tiny" hard drive. With only 4 or 8GB the Ipod won't be left at home for a while;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm surprised no one has metioned the "tiny" hard drive. With only 4 or 8GB the Ipod won't be left at home for a while;)

Is it a Hard Drive or Flash RAM? I figured it was Flash Ram like the Nano.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.