iPhone...

Reaction score
thanks schweb.. and also check this out.. youll get a laugh.. about how fast it spread and how ppl are already getting excited about getting it..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have Cingular and hopefully I can upgrade to the iPhone when it comes out. But June??? Ugh. The wait!

There was a post about how Cingular had the Razor first and now other providers have it. I bet if the demand and sales are there then other carriers will have it. Or I wouldnt be surprised if a 2nd Gen iPhone gets released later (maybe not long after) and more carriers get that. Who knows Cingular may be test. Just a thought. Who knows. I am still keeping my iPod!

I believe there was a specific mention of an exclusivity agreement. This would make for a legally binding agreement between the two companies and would preclude any agreements between Apple and another vendor without the express consent of Cingular/AT&T. It's not just a case where one carrier has the first of a model on the market, this was a co-development effort between the two companies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
is the cingular thing a rumor? or is it a fact its stuck with cingular till 09?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
but let me ask u something.. if there selling them in the apple stores, its not like an apple store is going to get you set up with cingualr service or like there is going to be a cingular rep in a apple store.. so if you buy one from them i doubt its going to be locked.. cuz there coming right from apple . not from apple to cingular to the store.. u kno what i mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but let me ask u something.. if there selling them in the apple stores, its not like an apple store is going to get you set up with cingualr service or like there is going to be a cingular rep in a apple store.. so if you buy one from them i doubt its going to be locked.. cuz there coming right from apple . not from apple to cingular to the store.. u kno what i mean?

It will be locked. It will either be activated as a new account in the store or possibly you set it up by calling in or going online after you buy it.

It will be exclusive to Cingular and it will be locked, doesn't matter where you get it from. The keynote and subsequent reports have been very clear about this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
who will it be available to after the year 09'? , and how much would you guess it will cost?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
who will it be available to after the year 09'? , and how much would you guess it will cost?

There's no way to know. Most likely either still Cingular or Cingular and Tmo since they're both GSM and it's an easy switch of the SIM card.

As for cost, who knows....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
This is going to be a long post...

Is there anything new in the iPhone? IMHO, no. The iPhone is just a collection of previous concepts under Apple's interpretation.
The shape reminds me of the Sony TH55, it has the same clean face in a world of PDAs with too many buttons. A phone with a big screen is a concept started by the O2 by I-Mate and used also by HP in one model, which wasn't successful because the average user still wants a keyboard. A full OS, Linux, was introduced with the Zaurus and the Yopi. Using your finger instead of a stylus is posible in every PDA with touch-sensitive screen. A browser able to show a full HTML site just like the iPhone was developed for Windows Mobile, it was called Eagle or something like that. A PDA with screen rotation was first presented as a hack for Windos CE and later as part of PalmOS 5. Should i continue? Don't take me wrong, i do like the device, is just great, but i don't give Apple points for originality here, i do however give them points for taking all those things and finally do them right.

Now, to answer some of the posts...
Cingular HAS to be the carrier. As the bigger in the game it gives more oportunities to Apple. The iPhone has to start bounded to a carrier because this allows a reduction in the price, and the iPhone really needs that. The iPhone won't be available for Verizon, GSM is the best option. The iPhone already has several accesories, i suposse the "iPod connector" allows it to share those. RIM is crying.

Reaction score
I just watched the keynote and that is one cool gadget.

iPhone has taken the first step in the new frontier of telecommunication devices.

iPhone iPwns!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
seeing that it is stuck on cingular blows. secondly, i don't see this taking off in the business world at all, which is where most smartphones are.

i would be interested to see this thing up close to see what it can do, but i'm perfectly fine with my treo 700wx for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17"
I see that it can do MS Exchange email through IMAP, I'm hoping there will be a way to set up for full Exchange server sync (email, calendar, contacts).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I have no words about this device. It's far beyond any expectations that I had for it. My friends and I all sat in my living room tonight watching the keynote, and our jaws hit the floor when we saw Jobs demonstrating the iPhone's capabilities...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I was wondering why the whole phone uses Helvetica?

The only place Helvetica appears in OS X is Dashboard and Safari.

No sign of Myriad anywhere!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I see that it can do MS Exchange email through IMAP, I'm hoping there will be a way to set up for full Exchange server sync (email, calendar, contacts).

Highly doubtful. IMAP and POP are options you can enable on the Exchange server so people can access their e-mails via different clients. The biggest reason that they are options that have to be turned on is because you lose a lot of functionality of the exchange server (contacts, calenders, public folders) in doing so

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.00Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
There was an article about it in the newspapers this morning in the UK but it only said that it would be available close to christmas this year, no mention of under what service providers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.