looking to get a camera

M

MacHeadCase

Jeff Keller's review of the Canon Digital Rebel XTi (EOS 400D).

At the end of the review there are links to other camera reviews he posted that are just about comparable. Listed are: Canon EOS-30D, Nikon D50 and D80, Olympus EVOLT E-330 and E-500, Pentax K10D and K100D, and the Sony Alpha DSLR-A100. So you can compare them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
that was a great link moss918!

now i feel even better about my recent point and shoot purchase (a panasonic lumix 5MP 10X zoom - panasonic lumix DMC-TZ1K).

cheap, great optics, basically just to get my creative juices flowing again before dumping any amount of money into a DSLR. my only SLR now is a canon, about 35-37 years old, and in need of serious cleaning/maintenance. i need to get some pics of that beast up on smugmug!

He also has pages dealing with why it doesn't matter what camera you have as good pictures come from what you see not what you're holding -

Good advice I think. I believe there are too many people buying expensive DSLR's and thinking it has turned them into a photographer lately.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, i agree. its as much about moment and subject as it is about clarity and color. although lighting probably rides the fence between...

that's one reason i do actually really like "point and shoots". it is really easy to capture a moment or a live subject without them really realizing - especially when you get decent at not using the viewfinder...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
My LCA has come everywhere with me for ages now, I love the images you get and all you need is a good eye. I recently got a Zorki 1c for street photography as it's small like the LCA but you have a lot more control. Haven't tried it yet as I need a light meter... any recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Lighting is everything with photography. Photography is light...

Reaction score
Choosing a camera is only half of the results of a great photo. The photographer skills and the way they view an object is the other half of a great photo.

I shoot on a semi professional media level but not on a daily basis. When I am not carrying my high end gear around, I use a Nikon 3.2 megapix pocket point and shoot camera and can still get good results...not great but good that can be altered with a good imaging software.

When I am out shooting semi pro, I carry the following:

Nikon D70
Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D
Nikkor Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX
Nikkor Zoom Telephoto AF VR 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF
Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Zoom Macro Super II
Hoodman Battery Grip
Nikon SB-800 Flash
Sigma EF-500 Flash
SLIK Pro 400DX Tripod
SLIK Pro 600 Monopod
Tiffen UV & Circular Polarizers
Tamrac Adventure 7 Backpack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 10.5.6, 4 gig several ImacsG4's 640kb/10.3.9 and an Ibook G4/Tiger
Speeking of cute, thats a sweet little light weight set up you have there.:spook:

It's cute you think so. :)

My kit:
Canon 1D Mk II N
50/1.4 USM.....16-35/2.8L USM ... 24-105/4L IS USM ... 70-200/2.8L IS USM

Though in all seriousness, I think the Sony buy-out of Konica-Minolta will be a good thing in the long run. My first SLR was an old Minolta 7xi (or something like that) and it did fine. The Alpha-100 sounds like it is a qualified competitor at the consumer level.

RB2_4321(1).jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I just got all green with envy looking at that shot Ray

Reaction score
EDITED TO ADD: The difference between 8 and 10 MP is negligible

+1

I've printed 30x20 posters from my 8 megapixel 1D2N and they look as good or better than pics shots with higher-res cameras. There is so much more to a camera than resolution. If you're jut going to be taking pictures for the internet, a 4MP camera will do more than you'll ever need.

(on a technical aside, all else being equal you'll actually get better pictures from a lower-megapixel camera because the individual pixels/sensors are larger, meaning less overall noise in the image ... there is a lot more to it than just that but the point is, don't be scared of a 6MP or 8MP camera as opposed to 10MP or higher)

Nikor (Nikon) and Canon lenses are generally the best for picture quality, speed, accurate focus, etc. Personally, unless there was some overwhelming reason to look elsewhere, I'd buy a Nikon or Canon.

Someone suggested buying a cheap film SLR to practice with. I'd suggest, instead, that you find a good press-quality photo shop in your area and rent the camera/lens(es) you want for a day or two. Will they do what you want? Are they too heavy? Are they comfortable? Can you understand how to make them work? Did you get pictures you're happy with?

Don't over-buy. It's very easy to buy a camera with features you'll never use. "17 metering modes and 43 built-in picture presets!" sounds great until you realize you'll only use two or three ... the ones that come with all the lower end cameras. High shutter speeds and burst speeds and buffer sizes only matter if you're doing a lot of fast action; there is very little you can do with a 1/4000 top shutter speed that you couldn't also do with a 1/2000 top shutter speed. Completely ignore any statistics regarding the built-in flash; it's garbage no matter how powerful it is. Be more mindful of size & weight -- this applies both to the camera itself and the lenses you'll buy -- because it's a lot easier to buy a boat anchor than you realize. Spending a day with six pounds of camera on your neck vs. three is a very big difference.

Finally, don't stay up late at night worrying about your purchase. If you don't know enough about photography to understand all the little nuances you can compare, then you aren't going to benefit from the differences. You're almost certainly better off buying the less expensive option and learning how to take really good pictures. In the end, it's the CPU behind the camera, not the CPU in the camera, that takes the picture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, OSX ver 10.4.8
I am certainly an amature photographer but I've been very happy with my Canon Rebel xti. It seems somewhat smaller than other SLR's and has a self cleaning feature. I'm using a 75-300 zoom lens which works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBookPro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz 2 GB RAM, 120GB HD
Simple answer here get the XTi and an decent lens (or two) you can afford. Since you want to shoot outdoors try the f 4.0 L series 70-200mm and a similar f4.0L Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM series wide angle zoom. You may just need that lens to start and say the 1.4x extender. Invest in a bomber case from Pelican and you are set.

PM me if you need more.

Remember that the camera is justa light capture device the lens is the the trick.... Garbage in......Garbage out. and the Xti should be awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display
The best advice I can give you is to go to a store, pick up all the DSLR's they have and hold them, shoot with them and play with the features and menus. The one that feels the best to you (and that you can afford) is the one for you. Do not let megapixels, brands, or even cost (if they are reasonably close in price) be the deciding factor.

I shoot a Nikon D200 and love it to death. I loved my Nikon D70 before that. To me, the Nikon's felt the best in my hand and put me at the most ease while shooting.

BTW RayLee, is that really all your equipment??? If so...
1806.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.