Firefox, Safari Nor Opera will display youtube.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.5ghz G4, 1GB
Weird problem and I'm not exactly sure when it started. I can view embedded youtube videos fine. But if I visit youtube.com itself, the site will not render/display at all in Firefox and Safari. It will display in Opera... sorta.

I'm at a loss here and can't determine what the common denominator is here other than youtube itself. But I figured other people would/should have the same problem as me if it was the site. I can't find any other reports of a anyone else suffering the same problem.

Mac Mini PPC 1.5Ghz G4, 1GB Ram, 10.4.8
Firefox 2.0.0.1, Opera 9.10

Thoughts, suggestions?!

Thanks.

Reaction score
I just watched this at youtube.com using Safari on my MBP with no problems.

I know that doesn't help, but at least now you know it's a local problem on your computer. Or youtube just hates you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.5ghz G4, 1GB
I know that doesn't help, but at least now you know it's a local problem on your computer. Or youtube just hates you.

That's pretty much what I've been thinking. :(

It's driving me crazy. If I click that video link, both FF and Safari will update the window title bar with "YouTube - Star Wars PSA: Vader Dad" so it's not liked I am altogether blocked either. The page just will not render at all. :radioacti

Now if that video was embedded in another website, I would be able to see and play it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.5ghz G4, 1GB
Just a window shot... and Safari looks the same. Just sits there trying to load. *shrugs*

ff.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Are you using Peer Guardian or any other IP affecting software?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.5ghz G4, 1GB
Are you using Peer Guardian or any other IP affecting software?

Nope. Like I mentioned earlier, I can reach the site as indicated by the title bar update. Heck, ALT-U (in Firefox) even shows the full page source. So I've got the page, FF and Safari just won't render/display it.

Too my knowledge I have not installed anything out of the ordinary that would break the browsers. And really, they're not even broken except for youtube.

Ugh! This is driving me nuts!!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.5ghz G4, 1GB
Any other suggestions? :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Found this:

YouTube's video playback technology is based on Macromedia's FlashPlayer 7 and uses the Sorenson Spark H.263 video codec.

Try reinstalling Flash Player.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.5ghz G4, 1GB
Found this:

Try reinstalling Flash Player.

That was one of the first things I tried even though it didn't really make sense. I can view youtube videos embedded on other sides, as well as all other flash based movie players. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM
Firewall issue?

What about your internet security settings?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.5ghz G4, 1GB
Firewall issue?

What about your internet security settings?

Can you be a bit more specific? I don't have a true firewall, just a simple linksys router doing NAT. And as far as OSX, I haven't messed with any 'security' type settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Have you tried clearing your cache and seeing if that did anything? I know Safari cache can cause weird problems with certain sites like worldofwarcraft.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM
Can you be a bit more specific? I don't have a true firewall, just a simple linksys router doing NAT. And as far as OSX, I haven't messed with any 'security' type settings.

Well... Has it worked before using the same router? Or is this a new router or new computer?

It's possible the firewall in the router could be blocking the content. Of course, if youtube has displayed before on this computer and the same router, then :bomb: .

Also... if this is a new computer working on this router... you may need to check your internet security settings on your new computer then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.