LCD monitor advice needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
I finally converted to a LCD monitor last week, the Samsung SyncMaster 931BW, a 19-inch widescreen. I believe it was late on the first day that I began to notice the entire screen vibrating in vertical wavy lines - that is, the entire screen appeared to be vibrating in a vertical wavelike pattern very rapidly. I don't know how else to describe this!

After some online research, a call to Samsung, etc. it seemed this problem might be due to electromagnetic interference from something. But even after moving my speakers away from the monitor and re-locating my Mini from beneath the monitor (several times), it still had this problem. And it's very unpredictible; there could be no change in what peripherals I've turned off or on, or no change in sound coming from my Mini (hard drive, fan), and those waves will appear then disappear anywhere from 5 minutes to when I go into sleep mode. So I'm no longer convinced that it's a video card problem or an EM interference problem but perhaps just a dud monitor.

Okay, enough description - here are my questions:
1. Has anyone else running a Mini (mine's a G4) experienced similar problems with their LCD monitor?
2. If so, did you find a solution and what was it?
3. Is image vibration/waviness a common problem among LCD monitors, in general?
4. Are there certain LCD brands/models in particular that you've been extremely happy with on your Mac (aside from Apple displays)?
5. I'm going to make the 2-hour, one-way, extremely boring journey to exchange this monitor (yawwwnnnnn!). Should I get a straight exchange or instead get the LG Flatron L204WTX 20-inch widescreen LCD? Why I ask about this model is because this is the only other fast and reputable 19- to 20-inch widescreen this place has in stock. I'm quite leery that another Samsung will produce the same problem.

Any advice/suggestions concerning these questions would be appreciated!

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
Oops...forgot another question

6. The Samsung has a DVI input. If I buy a DVI cable to connect my Mini and monitor, might this solve the wavy lines problem?

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
DVI cables are expensive, and Samsung are normally quite good. I had a samsung for 3 years with no problems.

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DVI cables are expensive
In my case, I'll probably spend more on gas driving 2 hours each way than finding a DVI cable locally. I'm just wondering if such a cable will solve the problem I'm having, that's all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I can unreservedly recommend Viewsonic as an excellent monitor. Get their Pro series for best results. I use a VP2130b and it is the best monitor (clearest, brightest, best picture I have ever seen) I have used so far. If you check the technical specs, you will see why! I suspect that any monitor in their VP line is probably equally good, just at different sizes/resolutions.

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem solved!

I'm posting this response to my own thread so it will hopefully benefit others who are having the same problem as I did.

Anyhow, I decided to buy a DVI cable locally instead of driving 2 hours one way to exchange the monitor. After almost three days of using the DVI cable there has not been a single incident of wavy lines on my monitor. What a relief!

My only complaint is that I could have saved several hours of frustration if Samsung had included a DVI cable in the box instead of only a VGA cable. I can't understand why they don't include both when most PCs and all(?) stand-alone Macs have a DVI output and the LCD monitors are digital as well.

Oh well, problem solved. I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.