When will the next PowerBooks come out?

R

Raven

I'm going to be getting a PowerBook (15" or 17", I think), and anyway: wouldn't it be better to wait until some new ones come out, and get one of them? It might not be for a while, but I can wait 3, or even 6 months - I'm in no hurry.

So, based on when Apple announced new versions of PowerBooks in the past, we should be able to figure out when new ones will be announced. Do they normally announce one every six months? Longer? What trade shows do they normally do announce stuff at? When are they? When was the last new powerbook released?

Anyone have some answers? If so, thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
I've heard some estimates that the 15" Aluminium models may come out in less than two weeks - but on the other hand, some say they won't come out for a while yet. So if you're going to get a 17", there's no reason to wait, I'm guessing they won't be updated or revised for ages (ie sep-nov); but if you're getting a 15" (like me) just wait a few weeks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would agree. The 12in and the 17in are the latest models. Whereas the 15in, still needs to be upgraded to support the airport extreme. So as muso said if, you are looking at the 17in now maybe a good time. If it is the 15in you want, waiting a few weeks may not hurt.

OP
R

Raven

I'm now thinking of the 15" more, the 17" is just so big, so I guess I'll wait a month or so and see if Apple releases anything new.

I wonder if this 15" computer that might come out in a week or two would just be updated to look like the other two, or if the stuff inside it would change?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Every update apple has made.. theyve upgraded something. made somthing better.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It appears that it was the iBooks turn for a little upgrading.

OP
K

Kyle

I work for a place at my university that manages all of the computer labs on the campus. Well, the point to all this is that one of the guys I work with is on the Developer program through Apple. As you probably know already, Apple will soon be holding their WWDC, where they will show off Panther to the developers at the conference. This is relevant because: it tells us that panther is coming out soon (OS X 10.3), and also that Apple will probably be rolling out some big toys too. It has been rumored that Apple will be jumping into 64-bit processors, and also that Power PC 970 processors will be used. Well, the guy that I work with that is of developer status through apple told me that in September, Apple will unleash the PowerPC 970s, and introduce them into some new machines. So this is something that you may want to take into consideration.

-Kyle
-Mac Geek

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.