My MacBook Pro is REALLY *HOT* is this normal??

Reaction score
Does this mean my fans arent working or something??

Granted my computer was on all morning, the side panels where the speakers are along with the sides near the trackpad are pretty hot to the touch...

im not sure how normal this is because when i dont remember it being this hot when i was using it the first week...

(im on week 2)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
my sides are warm but not hot. download a program that will tell you the temp (core duo temp widget, istat pro application, etc.) and report to us what your temp is.

Reaction score
It can get pretty hot. I use smcFanControl to keep my fans running a bit faster all the time to keep temps down.

OP
M
Reaction score
my sides are warm but not hot. download a program that will tell you the temp (core duo temp widget, istat pro application, etc.) and report to us what your temp is.

i downloaded the "istat pro application" it doenst say anything about the temperature of my system?? it tells me how much memory i have etc. but no temp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 30 GB iPod Video
Yea my istat pro doesn't read any temperature information, although it seems like it could. I'm not sure if it doesn't recognize the temperature sensor or what. I have core duo temp widget and it works well. My MBP gets hot, but its not unbearably hot. I think my highest temp has been around 130 F.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yea my istat pro doesn't read any temperature information, although it seems like it could. I'm not sure if it doesn't recognize the temperature sensor or what. I have core duo temp widget and it works well. My MBP gets hot, but its not unbearably hot. I think my highest temp has been around 130 F.

would u mind giving me the hard core duo temp link?

im sure the istat pro has some kind of temp monitor....

it says that it does have one on the download page...grr

anyone use istat and is able to do a temp read?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just started playing around with istat pro a little and got the temperature settings to kick in. I'm not sure what I was doing differently before. I think the default istat pro setting just has the temperature setting part turned off, but if you click on the lowercase i in the bottom right hand corner it will take you to a menu where you can adjust what characteristics the widget reports. I played around with this before and it wouldn't allow me to turn on the temp gauge. Maybe installing the duocore temperature program help istat recognize it was there??? I'm not sure. Hope this helps.

OP
M
Reaction score
I just started playing around with istat pro a little and got the temperature settings to kick in. I'm not sure what I was doing differently before. I think the default istat pro setting just has the temperature setting part turned off, but if you click on the lowercase i in the bottom right hand corner it will take you to a menu where you can adjust what characteristics the widget reports. I played around with this before and it wouldn't allow me to turn on the temp gauge. Maybe installing the duocore temperature program help istat recognize it was there??? I'm not sure. Hope this helps.

hmmm thanks i do see the option for temp but it says "n/a" :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats what it said to me for awhile and then after I started reading this thread I checked it again and it let me turn it on. Like I said I'm not sure if the fact that I recently downloaded DuoCoreTemp and had it running had any impact on me being able to turn the temp gauge on, but its worth a shot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.