Problem installing apps

Reaction score
When ever I try to install any apps, a blank safari window opens & nothing installs. Please help!!! I don't know why this is happening all of a sudden.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
What are the steps you are following when you are trying to install? Normally, installing a Mac OS X program involves downloading it from a web site. The .dmg file auto opens, and you can drag the application to your Applications folder. It is fairly straightforward. Is this what you are doing? At what step does the balnk Safari window open?

OP
A
Reaction score
If i click on an exe, a blank web page opens. if I drag and drop it into 'applications' it just moves there.

Reaction score
An .exe file is a Windows application, not a Mac application. You cannot run .exe programs in OS X without setting up something like Parallels or BootCamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Mac applications typically have the extension .app. If you are not trying to install such a thing, you likely don't have a Mac application at all, but a Windows application.

There are plenty of great freeware and shareware apps out there for Macs... plenty! What are you looking for? Perhaps we could point you to a Mac version instead of a .exe!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
An .exe file is a Windows application, not a Mac application. You cannot run .exe programs in OS X without setting up something like Parallels or BootCamp.

yep. Just make sure when you're downloading apps, that they specify mac, and are compatible with the OS you're using. And as mac57 pointed out, there's every chance a mac equivalent software exists, so you're not really missing out.

M

MacHeadCase

Excellent, Marty!

Oh and btw adamreilly, BootCamp and Parallels are meant only for Intel-based Macs and won't work on PowerPC Macs. So since you didn't post any info on your Mac model, just thought it would be a good idea to add this to the thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.