Sound Trouble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Mirror
Hi peoples...
I need help, G4 mirror had power outage over Christmas. When I came back, there was no sound whatsoever, not even the startup "bong". Ive replaced the speaker, checked internal connections (to both speaker and motherboard), added external speakers, System hardware check with startup disk, still nothing.
Any suggestion, or ideas anybody.
Please let me know.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Is it possible to disable sound altogether in the infamous PRAM? Could some controlling setting there have been reset by the power outage?

This is likely a dumb question, but can you confirm that everything else works OK on the Mac - just sound has been effected?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Mirror
No, everything else is working fine. I have also reset the PRAM twice and still nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
c. 2003 PowerMac G5 1.6 GHz; 3GB RAM; NVIDIA FX 5200 Ultra w/Apple 20" Display
No, everything else is working fine. I have also reset the PRAM twice and still nothing.

Just for the heck of it, are you sure that the audio key array (upper-R) on your Apple keyboard doesn't have the sound turned off?

. . . That's always the first thing to check, because people (especially kids) will inadvertantly touch keys while the machine is running, and this could be an area that was "touched."

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Mirror
No, but the wierd thing is, when the sound buttons are pressed (volume up, down or mute) the icon on screen comes up very slowly, not instant like before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I don't know the G4 architecture, but the above suggests a sound card that has gone south. Is this replaceable on a G4?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.