A few simple questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
Hello everyone,

I am going to purchase my MacBook next Monday, I see that we have the option to either go for iWork (pages/Keynote) or Microsoft office for Apple.

My question is:

1- is pages similar to microsoft word?
2- if I do go for iWork, and lets say a friend e-mails me a words document (microsoft) attacment will Pages(from iWork) recognize the words document and be able to open it or not?
3- Is keynote apples version of microsoft powerpoint?

Thank you

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello everyone,

I am going to purchase my MacBook next Monday, I see that we have the option to either go for iWork (pages/Keynote) or Microsoft office for Apple.

My question is:

1- is pages similar to microsoft word?
2- if I do go for iWork, and lets say a friend e-mails me a words document (microsoft) attacment will Pages(from iWork) recognize the words document and be able to open it or not?
3- Is keynote apples version of microsoft powerpoint?

Thank you

1. Yes, Pages is a Wordprocessor, like Word.

2. I'm not sure of the compatibility with Word, but I'd imagine there are converters. OpenOffice is another alternative to Microsoft Office, and it most definitely will read standard MS Office documents. The best part is that it's free. Check it out http://www.neooffice.org

3. Keynote is similar to Powerpoint in functionality.

If you really need Microsoft Office, and compatibility is of concern, why not just buy the Mac version (Office 2004)?

Reaction score
Pages is more a publishing-oriented program. It's good for designing and printing documents you create. But it's not a good solution for working in an MS Office world. You can't really survive without MS Office, because the corss-functionality sucks in Pages, and Keynote too, and NeoOffice isn't great at it either. If you have to choose, I recommend Office for Mac. It's a good suite, and has solid features not found on Windows.

OP
Mactime
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
Thanks for the replies.

Thats all what i needed to know to make my desicion. I will be getting MS office for Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.