How to set up a RAID

Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased my MacPro with (1) 500GB drive and recently purchased another 500GB drive. I would like to set up a RAID so that the drives essentially mirror each other automatically. Can someone please explain how to do this? I tried doing it via Disk Utility but it would only let me add the newest 500GB drive and not the 500GB drive that initially came with my MacPro. Thank you!

dw

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I haven't done it myself. But this article may help you a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can not include the MacOSX Boot drive/partition in a RAID array using Disc Utility.

Reaction score
Do you want to create a software or hardward raid?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
I heard alot about raid what is it. is it to always have a backup or to get double the bandwidth?

OP
D
Reaction score
Is there a reason that you cannot include the Mac OSX boot drive in the array? Because it would essentially try to make two boot drives?

Is there a possible way of getting around this? Basically, I want to store files on the one 500GB internal drive and have them mirrored to the second 500GB internal drive. Thank you.

Reaction score
Maybe just setup an automatic back up system...

M

MacHeadCase

Ok this is really weird, you know?

I was searching for something on RAID at Apple's Suppoet website and this came up in the hits: Disk Utility 10.5 Help.

They are talking about Leopard, right? :D

OP
D
Reaction score
What would you recommend for an automatic back-up system? I'm sorry to be such a newb.. thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Is there a reason that you cannot include the Mac OSX boot drive in the array? Because it would essentially try to make two boot drives?

Is there a possible way of getting around this? Basically, I want to store files on the one 500GB internal drive and have them mirrored to the second 500GB internal drive. Thank you.

I don't think you can include your boot partition in a RAID array. If you boot from disk, you can create a RAID using your usual boot drive and your second drive.

Reaction score
Insert your Mac OS X disk and turn on the computer ...

Be sure not to overwrite your HDD though. That would suck. :ninja:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, but the boot drive will split the RAID array. AFAIK, once you boot to a boot drive that is part of a RAID array it will no longer be a RAID array if you use Disc utility. I've tried this, that is what happened.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.