Rookie needs some help

Reaction score
I love the New macbook and am considering purchasing one but I am not a tech guy and everything at work is PC. Primarily I need word processing and powerpoint, can I use the macbook and be compatible? Wil neo-office read and save in the proper formats for my coworkers to use my files?

I know I can boot-camp a version of xp but I would rather not. I also see that Microsoft makes a full version of office for macs, but that's another couple hundred bucks on top of the computer purchase.

I can definitely live without windows, but I have to be able to read and write stuff that my office can use without hassle.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
youll be fine on the mac if ppt and word is all you need. Honestly, i use bootcamp, but only for some stubborn dvd encoding, if it doesnt work in osx.

other than that i cant stand to use windows anymore.
neo office is a great choice for free. it will edit word/ppt files just fine, and be able to save to that format as well. you should have no trouble. just make sure the mb has at least 1gb of ram, anything less is well, BLAH

Reaction score
The only limitation you'll find with NeoOffice is that it doesn't support revision marking or password protected Office files. If you need that capability, you can buy Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac, which comes with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Entourage (an Outlook replacement).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.