AOL IM for Mac

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm kind of new to Mac. In almost 1 year I've never experienced a problem with OS-X. (so smooth compared to my old PC!)

Yesterday I installed AOL IM and experienced my first issue. Backing up a little, I have been using iChat to 'text' the cell phones of my kids. Responses could only be received if I was online. This is why I tried the AOL program.

After installing AOL, everyones phone shows up as offline/unavailable in AOL. Same in iChat and Mail. I tried deleting AOL in Applications with no change.

Any idea what I need to do?

As it is I can't text anyones' phone since a message shows up saying they are offline. Not even my own phone sitting next to me which has a siignal!

Thanks,
George

It isn't until something goes wrong that I realize how little I really know!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
are the phones signed on to aol through the phone? if not this could be your issue.. I know on my cell that if its not signed one via the cell it will show offline on my computer under aim.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I cannot sign on to AOL IM in any way on my Mac as well. I've tried Adium and iChat but get nothing. I posted, but nobody responded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
He's not talking about instant messaging to the phones while they are online...he's talking about using AIM to send an SMS to the phone, which just requires that the phone be turned on.

I would suggest looking in your /users/user_name/library/preferences/ folder for anything ending in .plist that has iChat or AOL in the name. These are your stored preferences for iChat and AOL, and deleting them may help you out. Granted, you will have to enter all your sign in information and preferences over again, but it might help "reset" iChat and/or AOL so you can txt your cell phone contacts again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
In System Prefs on the Mac, under the Firewall tab, do you have the iChat and Bonjour Tabs checked? It sounds like your Firewall is blocking your AIM fleurya.

OP
O
Reaction score
Sorry, using the correct terms might help. snoslicer8 understood me in spite of that. Yes, using aim to send an sms message. I will check for those files.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Did a Spotlight search for iChat, and under documents, there are a few files with names resembling "com.apple.iChat.AIM.plist" These are your preferences files for signing into AIM using iChat. I would delete these and then log out (of OSX), log back in, then open iChat and start over.

OP
O
Reaction score
I came up with 4 files containing aim or iChat with the .plist and sent them to the trash I will restart now.

OP
O
Reaction score
Got it. Deleting the .plist files and restarting the computer then re-entering contacts. That did the trick!

My contacts come up online and I was able to send myself a message.

Thank you everyone for the help.

George

Reaction score
if you want to im their cell phone all you have to do is type out their entire number with the + sign in front of it.

ex.

+1(area code)1234567

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
i found that aim does not have the best stability on mac...

i am a huge fan of adium! i do know that you can text phones also

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" G5, 2gHz, 1gb RAM, 250gb HD; iPod Touch 8gb
i found that aim does not have the best stability on mac...

i am a huge fan of adium! i do know that you can text phones also

I couldn't stand AIM for that reason (among many others).

I have no trouble texting my husband's cell phone from Adium!:flower:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe the problem was solved...delete the .plist files in your user/library/preferences directory that has iChat in the name, and logout/restart. No need to turn this into an iChat vs. Adium vs. AIM vs. Whoever war.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.16GHz
I believe the problem was solved...delete the .plist files in your user/library/preferences directory that has iChat in the name, and logout/restart. No need to turn this into an iChat vs. Adium vs. AIM vs. Whoever war.

but clearly adium wins. end of discussion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
I agree. Adium is WAY better than AIM 4.7 can ever be. I'm not sure what I would do if a new version of AIM rolled out soon..I would of course try it..but I LOVE the LACK of commercials/advertisements/robots attacking my screenname/comp every 2-3 hours while using Adium.

Reaction score
can you import your AIM contacts into Adium?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.