Weird things after restarting/shutting down

Reaction score
Whenever I restart or shutdown my machine, the next time I reboot it my HD icon is moved and there is a file in the trash named "Recovered Files"

Why does this happen? Does this mean there is something wrong? What can I do about it?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Displaying "Recovered Files" in the trash is normal. You can delete them securely.

Where did your icon move? Can you give more info. on this?

OP
S
Reaction score
Well my icon is usually in the top left hand corner. I have some other icons on my desktop (lined up in columns, like on a PC desktop) and the HD icon will sometimes move to the bottom of my list of icons, or to the next column. It's very strange.

M

MacHeadCase

Recovered files are usually temp files that have been freed by the restart and that are now ready to be deleted. You will see certain apps do this each time, like for instance when you get a file in iChat. The temp file for that document will be in the trash. So no problems there and nothing to worry about, really.

About this HD icon moving around... If you aren't using a haxie to change the natural position of your Mac's desktop icons, me thinks you have placed them manually to your liking and each time you'll save a file or eject a removable disk, the order in which the icons are sitting will change. The natural order for files in Mac OS X is either by Date, Kind, Size, etc. So basically I believe there is nothing making your HD icon stick to its position.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.