Adium Help

Reaction score
I've just installed Adium and it looks great etc, however my contact list won't show as the usernames people have (Paul, John etc) and instead have them listed as [email protected] etc.

I've gone to View > Contact Name Format but whichever one I choose, the names still stay as the [email protected].

Any ideas? It was working fine last night?!

Reaction score
I've just installed Adium and it looks great etc, however my contact list won't show as the usernames people have (Paul, John etc) and instead have them listed as [email protected] etc.

I've gone to View > Contact Name Format but whichever one I choose, the names still stay as the [email protected].

Any ideas? It was working fine last night?!

Try this advice which I found on another forum:

Make sure all the screen names in your Address Book cards are all lower-case.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi Pulse - Do you know where this is located in the Preferences to check it?

I only use it for the MSN Messenger, no AOL or anything if it makes any difference.

Reaction score
Liam, I don't use Adium, sorry. When you added your contacts to Adium, did you enter them in your Address Book?

OP
L
Reaction score
No. Theyy are already on the messenger network, so I just inputted my email address and my contacts showed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just fired up Adium and in AIM and Yahoo it does what you want, but under MSN it shows what you are seeing. Will do some more checking and see what I come up with.

Edit: If I select the first one on the list on the Contact Name Format called just Alias it shows the alias but not the @whatever. Are you running the latest Adium? Just curious. Running 0.89.1 on this end.

Reaction score
No. Theyy are already on the messenger network, so I just inputted my email address and my contacts showed.

You're 100% correct on that Liam, I recall this when i set up Adium for my son to contact his MSN friends last year. Because he already had his MSN account, when he entered his email address his massive amount of contacts were instantly available.

OP
L
Reaction score
I just fired up Adium and in AIM and Yahoo it does what you want, but under MSN it shows what you are seeing. Will do some more checking and see what I come up with.

Edit: If I select the first one on the list on the Contact Name Format called just Alias it shows the alias but not the @whatever. Are you running the latest Adium? Just curious. Running 0.89.1 on this end.

It was working fine last night - that's what I don't understand!

Yep, it was doing that for me last night, but now it doesn't! Definetly the latest; I only downloaded it last night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
hmm, that's an interesting problem. I don't recall Adium ever constantly displaying contact emails...

oh, wait - I found it. Go to view>contact name format>username
that should do it ;)

Hope that's what you're after ;)

OP
L
Reaction score
hmm, that's an interesting problem. I don't recall Adium ever constantly displaying contact emails...

oh, wait - I found it. Go to view>contact name format>username
that should do it ;)

Hope that's what you're after ;)

My second sentence in the original post says that whichever I choose, none of them work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM
Have you done anything with the program besides opening it, closing it and chatting with people?

Did you change any settings? Did you install any updates or anything like that?

I just checked through all of my preferences... in the advanced section of the preferences, click on the msn butterfly. Do you have anything selected there?

OP
L
Reaction score
I didn't change any settings apart from the appearance, that's how I found it so bizarre. Installed no updates, or add-ons or anything.

However a short while ago, someone signed in and it showed their alias, but everyone else was [email protected].

After quitting the application and re-opening it they were all listed with just their alias. (Yes, I had tried quitting and re-opening the application many times when the problem first occured!)

Maybe just a bug or something, I dunno...but it's bizarrely fixed itself...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.