Benefits of HFS+ ?

RTP

Reaction score
Hi,

I've searched the archives, and can't seem to find a clear answer. I bought an external hard drive a couple of months ago that came formatted as FAT32. At the time, I did a bit of reading through the forums, and decided to leave it as FAT32 so that I can use it with a Windows computer if I need to.

However, since having the drive I haven't needed to use it with a Windows computer, and I'm not likely to (I use a flash drive to take files to/from work - and if I were to have a Windows computer at home, I'd probably just network it with my Macbook and share the drive).

The drive is used to store music and photos, and various other documents. I'm wondering if there is any real benefit to re-formatting in HFS+? I've outlined my understanding of the possible benefits below - can someone please confirm/clarify what the benefits would be, given that I plan to only use the drive for music, photos, etc.?

As far as I understand:

1) FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB (this won't cause me problems, as the biggest files I'm likely to store on the drive are under 10MB)

2) FAT32 is inefficient for large drives due to the minimum cluster size (again, I'm not too worried about the 'wasted space' this causes, as I'm unlikely to fill up the drive any time soon)

3) HFS+ is journaled (I can see the benefit of this over FAT32, but is it worth the hassle of re-formatting the drive? Maybe I'm being blase about it - I've been lucky and have rarely had any issues that would highlight the benefits of journaling)

4) I've read that HFS+ will be quicker and more reliable - how so? Just because it's a native Mac format? Because HFS+ "defragments" itself as it goes? (I must admit I'm attracted to the idea of using HFS+ just because it's a Mac format - just seems to be asking for trouble using a Windows format for a Mac computer (especially an old Windows format))

Thanks in advance for your help! :cool:

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, RTP! Enjoy your stay!

I can't pretend I know anything about Windows stuff so I won't answer any questions concerning FAT 32 but maybe this link can partially answer some of the questions you might have between the differences between file systems: Comparison of file systems and more specifically, info on HFS Plus and Mac OS X Filesystems.

OP
RTP

RTP

Reaction score
Thanks - that last link was particularly useful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Yes thanks MacHeadCase. As an old Linux user, I was delighted to find that there *is* an implementation of ext2 for Mac! I have never been able to find one before. For those Linux distributions that don't support HFS+, I FINALLY have a way of sharing external hard drives using a sensible format (vs. FAT32, which seemed to be the only other common format). Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.