iSkin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
ok i was thinking about getting the black iSkin keyboard protection. now i was wondering if anyone has it or knows if when the illumination goes on, on the keyboard if it still illuminates the letters/symbols on the keys? plus do you guys think its worth it or no?

Reaction score
The question I would ask: how will that impact the Mac notebook's heat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
ok i was thinking about getting the black iSkin keyboard protection. now i was wondering if anyone has it or knows if when the illumination goes on, on the keyboard if it still illuminates the letters/symbols on the keys? plus do you guys think its worth it or no?
iSkin site said:
Available in Sonic (frosted blue), Blush (frosted pink),
Arctic (frosted clear), Ghost (phosphorescent opaque
white glow in the dark, printed keys), and Eclipse
(opaque black, printed keys)
It won't stop the sensor from lighting the keyboard, but you won't be able to see it with the black one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
A word of warning too, just in case this hasn't been mentioned elsewhere. I closed the lid on my MBP (to put it to sleep) when it was really hot (was probably playing Warcraft and the CPU was running high), and now I've got a permanent imprint on my screen from the iSkin. It's hardly noticeable (and not at all with the brightness up), but I wish I'd thought about it beforehand. I'm now careful to remove the iSkin before closing the lid unless my machine is relatively cool.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah forget it then its not like my keyboard is getting ruined or anything, plus if i get that i mine as well get the protection for the track pad and the part in front of the keyboard and such...its just not really worth it now that i think about it. only thing that would be is part infront of keyboard cuase that gets discolored and if you have those little cover things it keeps its clean and stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Oh don't get me wrong -- I'm really glad I've got mine. I took a look at my Dell Laptop (my work issued one, the one I never use 'cause it's, well, a Windows box), and I was amazed at how gross my keyboard looked. Likewise, the keyboard I've got attached to my Mini was so gross that last month I pulled all the keys off and washed them in the sink.

As long as you mind the screen, I think the iSkin is a great investment. It does take a few days to get used to the increased resistance when typing however. Even though I'm quite used to it now, I do still prefer the feel of the keys without the cover, but not enough to warrant dingy food-encrusted keys! :biohazard

I agree that the wrist-rest protectors are a great idea. I don't have them, but I really should get a pair. The MBP gets really warm there and I frequently sweat a little, and I'm afraid I'll discolour the surface if I don't put something there to protect the surface.

Reaction score
only thing that would be is part infront of keyboard cuase that gets discolored and if you have those little cover things it keeps its clean and stuff.

I have one, from Marware. It's fantastic. Once it's on it stays on unless you REALLY want to take it off, and it completely protects the "palm area" of the keyboard from scratches. Another unintended benefit ... I used to have to take my watch off to use my MBP because the deployany clasp would drag across the computer. Now it just kind of slides across the rubber of the Marware pad.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
k so i am gonna order both but what color iSkin should i get...i mean black is cool but the illumination won't go through is kinda disapointing but still...any suggestions?

Reaction score
Can you reapply the iskin? Like if you take it off to clean it will it 'stick' to your keyboard just as good as the first time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iSkin doesn't 'stick' to the keyboard. It just kinda sits there. For the most part, that's fine, although when I've played games, I find that it floats too much and I have to move it to the side.

It really is preferable that it isn't semi-permanently applied to the keyboard, as I remove mine every few weeks to wash it (just a little warm water and dishwashing soap does the trick).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.