• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie or Final cut express

Reaction score
I'm planning on ordering a Mac this week after the keynote, and will be getting the $99 final cut express. Going to start editing video, and was wondering if I should start in iMovie to get my feet wet or start right in with Final Cut? Also are there any good online recourses for Final Cut, because the tutorials on apple made it seem a bit over whelming?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I would start right away in final cut, and check out rippletraining.com they have a good amount of tutorials and they are very good quality, there are a good amount of free ones as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There really wouldn't be much need for iMovie if you are going to by FCE.
Plus, if you get used iMovie, then you can develop some "bad habits" with regards to editing that won't mesh too well with something a little more substantial like FCE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.